Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep Chart?
Sleep Chart?
Howdy All!

I lost my cpap machine because of "compliance issues"... I have an awesome friend who gave me her father's ResMed S9 VPAP Auto Plus the accompanying ResMed H5i; since he refused to use it after trying it for a couple of weeks soon after she bought it for him.

I have my sleep study, and I know how to adjust my *new* machine, but I am unsure what settings to change, and what to change them to.

My sleep study results =
Severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea-Hypopnea
AHI of 44.6/hr
recommendations of autoCPAP set initially 4 and 20 cmH20.

I looked up all the terms and I understand them... somewhat. But I am not sure what should be adjusted.... I know that my machine is bipap, and I am hoping that will help me with my *compliance* issues.

I am looking at using the Vauto setting, but not sure what the following settings should be set to? Is there some sort of *magic* AHI to Ipap/Epap ratio chart that exists? somehow I doubt it. haha

Max Ipap
Min Epap
Pressure support
Ti Max
Ti Min
Trigger
Cycle

Any help you can provide would be appreciated!

p.s. I have more info about my sleep study. but I don't want to bore anyone to tears. ;b

Thanks
TinyBubbles
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep Chart?
Hi TinyBubbles,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
What was your titrated pressure? That would give others a better fix on how to get you set up with your machine.
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
hmm, my sleep study was in-home on a portable machine called the Alice PDx from Respironics. If I understand correctly, the titrated pressure is something that a sleep lab would do? I don't think I have any data for that. Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2015, 10:15 PM)TinyBubbles Wrote: Howdy All!

I lost my cpap machine because of "compliance issues"... I have an awesome friend who gave me her father's ResMed S9 VPAP Auto Plus the accompanying ResMed H5i; since he refused to use it after trying it for a couple of weeks soon after she bought it for him.

I have my sleep study, and I know how to adjust my *new* machine, but I am unsure what settings to change, and what to change them to.

My sleep study results =
Severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea-Hypopnea
AHI of 44.6/hr
recommendations of autoCPAP set initially 4 and 20 cmH20.

I looked up all the terms and I understand them... somewhat. But I am not sure what should be adjusted.... I know that my machine is bipap, and I am hoping that will help me with my *compliance* issues.

I am looking at using the Vauto setting, but not sure what the following settings should be set to? Is there some sort of *magic* AHI to Ipap/Epap ratio chart that exists? somehow I doubt it. haha

Max Ipap
Min Epap
Pressure support
Ti Max
Ti Min
Trigger
Cycle

Any help you can provide would be appreciated!

p.s. I have more info about my sleep study. but I don't want to bore anyone to tears. ;b

Thanks
TinyBubbles

You and I have the same machine. I like mine a lot. If you are going to use this machine in auto mode, it would be helpful to know what pressure you were titrated for before. Lacking that I would suggest settings as follows to start:

Max IPAP=20
Min EPAP=6 (or 7)
PS = 3 or 4 to start. S9 transitions are very gentle

Ti max=2.0 (default)
Ti min=0.3 (default)
Trigger = Med (default)
Cycle = Med (default)

That should get you started. I don't remember if you have software but you will need it to figure out where you need to go. if after a week, your pressure is staying well above the min EPAP setting, you will want to raise it to a point just below where it "normally" chooses as its lowest operating point. Do not worry about the last 4 settings. Chances are they will not need to be changed. Let us know how you are doing.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
If I had your machine I would set PS to 1 and MAX IPAP to 12, MIN EPAP 6. I would use for a week and then using sleepyhead find my 95% IPAP, and my AHI, how many obstructive events and clear airway events I have. I will use that week to learn to use SH to generate some charts to share with the forum to help me make the next step.

QAL

Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks PaytonA & QAL!

That's just the info I was looking for (i.e. a quick start guide with a little statistics on the side). I didn't realize, just how *nice* the machine I lucked into is. There is a plethora of information to sift through. Thanks for being my first sieve! :D

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sleep HQ Chart Feedback RobertGeorge 9 238 03-21-2024, 07:05 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 164 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 97 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  New User Please Help with my chart apapnoob 11 505 02-04-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: apapnoob
  Japanese sleep test vs. Lofta/WatchPAT discrepancy + flow chart morphology analysis? woodenwaterbottle 3 4,418 01-24-2024, 03:05 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Started on BiLevel for UARS, how does chart look? squashedlikeabug 5 516 01-04-2024, 01:30 PM
Last Post: squashedlikeabug

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.