Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep Cntr Overnite to Select/Adj CPAP/Mask
Sleep Cntr Overnite to Select/Adj CPAP/Mask
Sleep Center here just told me I will need another night to determine pressures, select CPAP & mask.  I was not thrilled, thinking of first night w/ 30+ electrodes glued to my head and face.  Girl told me it will be the best nights sleep I ever had (unlike the first night) and will be used to determine best pressures for machine and to select the right mask.  Maybe that's good since I read about so many of you struggling with settings.  Of course, it probably won't be a panacea.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep Cntr Overnite to Select/Adj CPAP/Mask
It’s called a titration study. I don’t know about the best night sleep ever..... Sad

A titration will determine your optimal pressure and what type machine may be best for you. The study is fairly accurate. But remember it is only one night, and every night is different. AHI levels will vary night to night.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Snorzz,

Welcome to Apnea Board,

This is common practice. It's called a titration; they mask you up with the wiring, the tech uses varying amounts of pressure settings to record your various apnea events so they can determine what might be your best therapy pressure settings.

And not to upset your cart or anything, once you actually use your CPAP at home, you will almost certainly find you need to tweak your pressure settings to YOUR best settings. Why? The upcoming titration is not at your home, where you normally sleep. Your bed. Your etc. Once you start using the CPAP, you can post data off the SD card through Imgur and posting your link here for us to observe the results so we can assist in dialing the CPAP to its optimal settings for you.

Dave
lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, it's a titration study. I had one of those last week. It was a waay better experience than the first sleep study I had, for a couple of reasons: 1) I knew the whys and wherefores from this forum and 2) I took some home essentials.

[Note: I had already used an APAP before my titration study; I was being titrated to see if I would benefit from a different type of machine.]

Most important thing I took with me: 3 (yes, a whole duffel bag full) pillows, with off-colored pillowcases so I wouldn't leave them behind. 

You might sleep well, you might not....you'll know the next morning. I took forever to get to sleep (by mistake I drank coffee in mid-afternoon), but once I did I slept like a log (6.5 hours). The shift changed, so they woke me up. Otherwise, I could have slept for about 3 more hours.

Titration study or no, get clarity about the names of the optimal machines for each kind of sleep apnea therapy. See the pinned thread. Then, focus on getting the exact machine into the Doc's prescription.

Also, maybe read up on masks. They will almost certainly ask you whether you mouth-breathe. If you say yes, they will issue you and FFM. However, many folks on here use nasal pillows and then jury-rig something to keep their mouths closed. So, an FFM isn't absolutely necessary, and you might want to try out a set of those, maybe Dreamwear or P10.
Post Reply Post Reply
What everyone said above.
For me my original titration study was the best sleep I had gotten in a very very long time.

What was your Sleep Study results? Get them, file them, and post them. Obviously you have apnea or you would not be scheduled for a titration study.
The Titration study is an excellent opportunity to try different masks. Ask you can try some different masks. That IS important. IMHO you should try masks from the least intrusive (pillows) to the most bulky and intrusive (Full Face). The right mask for you is the mask that works for you, and it likely will be different than what I use.

Once you start posting your data I suggest that you keep your posts in a single thread. That will maintain a history and help us to help you.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
My first titration study was the worse because I had been awoken at least 2 or 3 times to get the correct mask fit (leaks).  I was exhausted when I finally left.
Post Reply Post Reply
SarcasticDave & Bonjour; at this pt I plan to push for the "Airsense 10 Autoset Auto CPAP Package w/ HumidAire Heated Humidifier" when I meet w/Doc and deal w/DME.  Any comments?  Of course I still do not have the report on my sleep study; could say I do not have apnea, though I doubt it.  I'm just trying to get ahead of the curve so I'm not a sheep waiting to be sheared.

Also, the F&P Brevida Nasal Pillows looks pretty good for a mask, although the Swift FX and the AirFit 10 are very highly rated by lots of people.

I have the Doc appt for Jan 15, but have put myself on her cancellation list.  Not sleeping much, hope to speed all this up, assuming it really is apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
Since you want to speed things up you need to know two things; Do you have obstructive apnea that qualifies for CPAP, and will your doctor allow you to self-titration on Auto CPAP? It is nearly pointless to go for a titration sleep test if you poorly tolerate the clinical environment, and if you feel confident in self-titration. The only reason it might be needed is if your sleep test also shows a tendency to central sleep apnea in addition to, or instead of obstructive. A sleep test will take several additional weeks to schedule and complete, then additional weeks to produce results, translate the recommendation into a prescription, refer the prescription to DME and finally be dispensed a machine.

You can cut to the chase and just ask for a prescription for Auto CPAP and self titration, and move this process ahead by months, saving considerable time and money, as well as untreated time with poor sleep and all that goes with it. You are exactly correct in the machine you want, and you can further speed up this process by asking your insurer for a list of in-network DME in your area. That way you can choose whom you want to work with ahead of time so they can request the prescription from your doctor...faster! cheaper! better! Within 2-nights of starting auto-CPAP you can have your machine dialed in for therapy, rather than waiting additional months.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hadn't thought of self titration, I'll try that out on the Doc, she seems like a sweet girl, about my daughters age.  First, I really need some sleep.  Second, if I can ever get thru w/dr. appts, we'd like to go the Rio Grande Valley for a few weeks in our RV.  At age 80, there won't be many more trips; don't want to miss any if I can help it.  So that machine does take full data recordings that I can transmit to you guys or whoever, right?
Post Reply Post Reply
Full data and very good response. It is almost 100% certain that you can do this, provided the diagnosis is obstructive sleep apnea.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 186 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 154 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 160 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 3 177 03-11-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 477 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 200 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.