Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Wife did a sleep study abt 2 years ago with an AHI of 6.9. Would insurance cover a
Wife did a sleep study abt 2 years ago with an AHI of 6.9. Would insurance cover a
CPAP for that low an AHI. Her symptoms are very consistent with OSA. She is always exhausted even after getting 8-9 hrs of sleep. I'm guessing that she would need another sleep study to confirm diagnosis and get a machine. She has also put on some weight since her last sleep study so I would guess that would make the AHI go up. Trying to convince her to pull the trigger to see if it helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Wife did a sleep study abt 2 years ago with an AHI of 6.9. Would insurance cover a
She may have better luck with an oral appliance with an AHI of that "low". Problem with those is there's no way to track how it is working other than she feels better.

If the doctor recommends a CPAP, then the insurance should cover it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Wife did a sleep study abt 2 years ago with an AHI of 6.9. Would insurance cover a
Laser, can't help you with the insurance as I'm from Australia but 6.7 is mild sleep apnea, I would still think she needs a CPAP, I hope insurance covers it but if not you may need to think about paying for it. If you have looked up what sleep apnea can do, it is well worth it.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can try Craigslist or Supplier #2.

Whatever you get however you get it, you want a data capable machine. Member Archangel has this article:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Depending on the insurance. My wife had a sleep study and was surprised with an AHI of 6. She had Medicare and they covered XPAP.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You'll just have to ask. They might require a new sleep study. And they might not pay for a new study.

Did she get recommended CPAP, refuse, or try and fail last time?
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
All depends on insurance. I know i had to get a referal from my primary doctor and his medical practice have their own sleep facility. So lucky i only had to pay copay for sleep study..

My insurance covers 70% of the cpap machine and accesories.

First 3 months its rented then the 4th month we get billed for the cost.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just read the report and the doc did recommend an APAP with a pressure range. She didn't pursue it since the sleep study showed such a mild case. Now whenever I try to push her to get a new sleep study, she always pushes back that she doesn't need one. She already hit her out-of-pocket max so it's a perfect time to do it (in my opinion).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 241 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 77 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 191 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,525 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 148 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.