Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep Deprivation and Obesity
The Nutrition Source
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsou...dex.html#1

A growing body of research suggests that there's a link between how much people sleep and how much they weigh. In general, children and adults who get too little sleep tend to weigh more than those who get enough sleep.

For example, in the Nurses' Health Study, researchers followed roughly 60,000 women for 16 years, asking them about their weight, sleep habits, diet, and other aspects of their lifestyle. At the start of the study, all of the women were healthy, and none were obese; 16 years later, women who slept 5 hours or less per night had a 15 percent higher risk of becoming obese, compared to women who slept 7 hours per night; short sleepers also had 30 percent higher risk of gaining 30 pounds over the course of the study, compared to women who got 7 hours of sleep per night.

There are several possible ways that sleep deprivation could increase the chances of becoming obese. Sleep-deprived people may be too tired to exercise, decreasing the "calories burned" side of the weight-change equation. Or people who don't get enough sleep may take in more calories than those who do, simply because they are awake longer and have more opportunities to eat; lack of sleep also disrupts the balance of key hormones that control appetite, so sleep-deprived people may be hungrier than those who get enough rest each night.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep Deprivation and Obesity
Thank god Im not a woman, I would be huge then as some days I get around 3-4 hours and I am overweight a little but thats due to being post-opBig Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep Deprivation and Obesity
I've been "overweight" all my life. Like, forever. I don't remember any time being anywhere close to "average." For whatever reason. Even when I was in the military, for 2 years, I was never at what statistically should have been my appropriate weight.

And I'm not a big eater. If anything, I don't eat enough. I've done the food diary thing a few times in my life, just to compare, and found things like if I should be eating 3000 calories a day just to maintain (not even to lose) my current weight, I actually only average about 1600 to 1800. And yet I don't lose weight. Usually, I maintain, but over years there's an upward creep.

Right up to starting APAP therapy. In the last 12 months, I've lost 35 pounds...and it's still going. I haven't changed my diet, I'm not eating more/less then usual, and I've not (intentionally) increased my activity level - it probably has increased, but it wasn't something I consciously pursued. In fact, I specifically chose not to change anything after I started therapy, just to see if there was a change to my weight. Now that I *know* that there is a correlation, the plan is to increase my activity, and see if I can speed that loss up any. It'd be nice to get back to where I was even 20 years ago.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 207 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,362 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  Therapy thread - sleep deprivation (canigetawitness1992) canigetawitness1992 16 1,841 08-02-2023, 10:28 PM
Last Post: canigetawitness1992
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 808 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility tinyobject 1 1,011 01-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Random nights of short sleep due to several days mounting to too much sleep? CorruptAlligator 2 681 10-19-2022, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Lucid

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.