Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep Diary anyone?
Sleep Diary anyone?
We mention this a lot but how many of us actually do it?

I'm going to start one, probably tonight if I can find a spare notebook. I'm thinking of one page for each "night".
  • Date(s)
  • time to bed
  • mood
  • type of day
  • changes (medication, pressure, mask, etc)

then:
  • time got up
  • how I slept
  • how I feel

Anything else?

What do you keep in yours, if you have one? Or had one in the past?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep Diary anyone?
(05-29-2014, 08:27 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: What do you keep in yours, if you have one? Or had one in the past?
I had one when started PAP, used to write down all the numbers until found out about the software and my son showed me how to use it
and
whether I was using Full face mask or nasal mask and humidity setting so I could have an idea what works and what don,t
wish
both both mask type and humidity setting reported on the software

Nearly 12 noon, new CPAP day and lunchtime break Coffee

Post Reply Post Reply
I use the notes section of sleepyhead to collect my data - changes
I made to pressure or epr, mask liner type, whether I used a chin strap.
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah,,,,,,,, Don't read books. Don't do notes..... I know I should, but that's my wife's job. Works best that way.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used to keep notes as I was trying to get multiple sleep disorders under control, now I just rely on the CPAP to report the times (which is also a lot more reliable than my self reporting) and sometimes put a short note.

Post Reply Post Reply
I thought I could remember it all when I sat down with the data at the end of the week but I'm not. I can't even remember to look at the data each day. So I'm hoping simple notes would be enough until I re-figure it out.

Transferring the notes into SH is a good idea. I can't find a notebook but I found my index cards. I can scribble on that.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-29-2014, 08:27 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: We mention this a lot but how many of us actually do it?
. . .
What do you keep in yours, if you have one? Or had one in the past?

Hi Paula,
I don't keep a diary, but I do record each day in a Sleep Log, which I keep in a .txt file on my computer. I download every day, so I'm at the computer anyway - it's minimal extra effort. I use a .txt file format, as it is extremely compact (I use Notepad++ to edit the file), and add a single line per day. I track date, usage time, AHI, and comments (which generally include mask, events like hi or low leak, filter replacement, how I slept, what I used to avoid backsleeping, etc.). Not as comprehensive as your plan, but it was enough to see what was happening fairly soon after I started PAPing, and figure out that backsleeping was the key for me.

I have found that if I make the log entry while looking at the Sleepyhead graphs, I can see what was going on with pressure, leaks, when there was a bio-break, etc., and I have some memory of the night to help make an intelligent entry. If I wait even a day, the memories start to fade and it is easy to confuse which night something occurred. Since I tried that (and failed) a few times, I don't do that anymore. I have to dump and wash the humidifier tank & mask cushion, check blood sugar, and a few other things, so this has just become another item in the morning routine.

One of the benefits of keeping this data in a file is that I will be able to run searches later to check for various kinds of events or situations. Right now, the file is small enough that eyeballing is fine.

I was not entirely happy with my Mirage Quattro FFM, so I am trying a F&P Simplus. After about a week, the data log is telling me that this new mask is a keeper - leaks are incredibly low and AHI is averaging well below 1. I expect the log to be helpful in making a number of such decisions as time rolls on.

Hope this is helpful for you (or someone).
A.Becker
Post Reply Post Reply
Things to consider:

Evening meals (what you ate and at what time)
Caffiene usage (how much and at what time)
Excercise/activity (how much and at what time)

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-30-2014, 01:23 PM)jaycee Wrote: Things to consider:

Evening meals (what you ate and at what time)
Caffiene usage (how much and at what time)
Excercise/activity (how much and at what time)

Also, maybe:

weather (hot, cold)
Humidity (outside humidity & CPAP humidifier setting)
Barometric pressure, full moon, etc. (okay, maybe no so much).. Bigwink
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
YA'LL are forgetting the most important log...

Partner assisted sleep aid...

Sex Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 205 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,360 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 807 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility tinyobject 1 1,011 01-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Random nights of short sleep due to several days mounting to too much sleep? CorruptAlligator 2 681 10-19-2022, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Home sleep test vs. sleep study at clinic rikkitikkitavi 14 3,200 02-18-2022, 08:46 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.