Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep Doctor Phone Appointment today
Sleep Doctor Phone Appointment today
Earlier today the Sleep Doctor called to give me the results of the titration with the ASV from 2 weeks ago.

He said once they figured out what pressure settings were best for me, that my apneas were mostly treated, with just a few remaining. And this time I had at least 8% of N3 sleep, where as last study I had 0% of the N3 sleep.

Bottom line is, he is putting in a prescription for a Respironics ASV bipap for me, and once the Kaiser DME approves it, it will go to Apria to fulfill for me.

The Sleep Doc said this type of prescription usually takes longer to fulfill than the regular cpap, and that most of his patients have to get it on a rental. But I called DME and they said I would not need to pay a rental fee with my coverage.

Now the wait begins, to receive the call from Apria, and then to pick up the ASV Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep Doctor Phone Appointment today
Although I do not use Apria, I have gleaned the following from those who have posted about their experience.
1) Read before signing.
2) Check to make sure they are giving you the machine you should be getting.
3) Never give them a credit card.

Their billing is known for the phrase: "You signed it, we can charge you anything we want."
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ruach,
I hope it doesn't take too long for you to get your new machine, good luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Ruach, be sure to get a copy of your prescription and the sleep study results for your records. Your need for equipment will not go away, but doctors, DMEs and things change. You need to have a record to avoid expense and delays in the future, or if you want to obtain supplies elsewhere, it gives you a lot more leverage.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Very good advice from justMongo and Sleeprider. I was assigned to Apria several years ago, don't remember details except I ended up, out of frustration switching to another DME. Over the years, two out of four DMEs have worked out well for me. Also, I agree with Sleeprider, get copies of everything and keep a good file, you will be dealing with this stuff for the long haul and the more savvy you become through this forum etc. the more you will appreciate having the files.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good advice from Sleeprider and Mongo. Apria can be good to deal with as long as you do not need any technical information concerning CPAP from their people. I do not give then a credit card number and never have any problem with their billing. I do not need their technical advice on CPAP, since I have learned more from this forum than most of them know. We have had some forum members who are RTs, who seem to be knowledgeable but many are not.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to all you all, for all your helpful advice. For me, the past few years with Apria, I have had mostly positive experiences, and I am grateful for that. I am looking forward to receiving the ASV Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
PS - I did get more info from Kaiser DME today. The clerk told me that Apria should call me next week regarding the sv auto bipap. Also, I was told that it is a rental, which I will not have to pay any fees for. This one they say will not be owned by me when they give it to me. Whereas the former cpap and bipap they gave me belonged to me when received by Apria. Must be because of the high cost of the sv auto bipap.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ruasch, this is a pretty common arrangement, and I am (as of Wednesday) under the same arrangement for an auto bilevel. We're going to have to demonstrate compliance, efficacy and benefit for at least 90 days before the rental converts to purchase.

Much of the concern raised earlier in this thread relates to whether you have full coverage, or high deductible insurance. It appears your costs are fully covered, so rental is not going to be a problem...relax and sleep well. Good luck with the new machine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleeprider - Apria told me that Kaiser rents for 13 months, and then re-evaluates on whether or not to continue to rent. They say then, if ever there is a problem with the device, that Apria will always be able to replace it if necessary.

And Apria called me today (Sunday) to tell me that I could pick up my new ASV Respironics DS960 tomorrow morning.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My doctor suggested patience Annecelesye 26 3,724 03-23-2024, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Annecelesye
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 207 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 525 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Smile Alan's New ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Came Today! Deborah K. 16 817 02-08-2024, 09:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Doctor switched my wife over to an ASV machine, it has doubled her AHI MaybeTowelie 18 933 12-21-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.