Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep Drs and DMEs
Sleep Drs and DMEs
This may be a naive question but I wonder how many sleep Docs also own all or part of a DME? Sleep Doc sent my instructions to a DME not in my ins (cigna) "network" . Now he has to know this so why would he do that?i
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep Drs and DMEs
They may have been at one time and doc didn't get the memo?
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2015, 07:43 AM)AlanE Wrote: They may have been at one time and doc didn't get the memo?

Had not thought of that.
Unlike myself you must be a glass half full kinda guy. Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
heh I'm a hopeless pessimist. It could be either way. kick-backs are possible. With insurance, its a jumble of jumping between underwriters so they can get the best deal and resell to companies that are always adjusting policies, and what it will cover, to afford it.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
My sleep doc and DME are in the same building; and one does not have to exit to get from the doc to the DME; just follow the secret passage.
He sends my Rx electronically to them. He gets paid to interpret their PSG studies.
Is there an incestuous relationship between doctor and DME? I don't know.
But, it does beg the question.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2015, 10:49 AM)justMongo Wrote: My sleep doc and DME are in the same building; and one does not have to exit to get from the doc to the DME; just follow the secret passage.
He sends my Rx electronically to them. He gets paid to interpret their PSG studies.
Is there an incestuous relationship between doctor and DME? I don't know.
But, it does beg the question.

Sounds like Disneyland and Disney World. You get off the ride and exit through the gift shop.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sort of like anytime there is a business selling eye glasses there is another separate business coincidentally in the same building testing eyes.

Yes, they establish relationships. However it probably isn't on the front burner in the Doc's business to know or care if the DME can participate in your specific insurance. But then, that's why God invented printers, so that the prescription can be printed out and you take it anywhere you wish.
Post Reply Post Reply
Most docs and health care providers don't know which DME's work with what insurances. It is your responsibility to find out your coverage, and tell the doc where to send the script.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2015, 11:49 AM)truetopath Wrote: Most docs and health care providers don't know which DME's work with what insurances. It is your responsibility to find out your coverage, and tell the doc where to send the script.

I'm sorry but I disagree. If I call the Docs office and ask if they accept my ins plan as a condition to use his service, and they sell or recommend services ancillary to their own, it seems reasonable (to me at least) they not send me where I cannot be accommodated within that same network.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2015, 02:53 PM)Mark Douglas Wrote:
(04-28-2015, 11:49 AM)truetopath Wrote: Most docs and health care providers don't know which DME's work with what insurances. It is your responsibility to find out your coverage, and tell the doc where to send the script.

I'm sorry but I disagree. If I call the Docs office and ask if they accept my ins plan as a condition to use his service, and they sell or recommend services ancillary to their own, it seems reasonable (to me at least) they not send me where I cannot be accommodated within that same network.

With new DME's popping up daily, and insurance companies constantly changing coverages and plans, the logistics would be impossible. It would be convenient if they could know everyone's coverage, but unfortunately, this isn't feasible. Of course, the exception is if they own the DME, then they better know if they accept your insurance, but as far as free standing DME's it'll never be there responsibility.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 208 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,362 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 808 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
Question DMEs in the PNW (Story & Question) SquishySquishCat 9 757 01-28-2023, 01:45 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility tinyobject 1 1,011 01-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Random nights of short sleep due to several days mounting to too much sleep? CorruptAlligator 2 683 10-19-2022, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Lucid

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.