Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep Fragmentation
RE: Sleep Fragmentation
(02-09-2020, 09:00 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: RERA is a breathing pattern where flow limited breathing suddenly ends with larger amplitude recovery breathing suggesting arousal. If ou look through your respiratory flow rate chart zoomed in close enough to see flattening from flow limitation, then where it goes back to normal or larger flow rate than normal, that may be RERA. Whether that corresponds to an awakening we can't say. Arousal are just sleep stage changes and may or may not be awakening.  

Your results look great, and you've done a very good job of optimizing.  I don't see how settings might be contributing to arousals as the pressure is nearly steady and appears to control events and flow limitations well.  About the only way to improve on this would be with a Vauto bilevel machine...maybe.  I hope you will continue to feel more refreshed as you continue to use these settings, however keep in mind "perfect sleep" is elusive, whether you use CPAP or not, and it doesn't seem to get better with age.

Thanks Sleep rider for the explanation and words of encouragement.
Nevertheless I have a question.
Last night, my AHi jumped from 0.52 (09022020) to 1.87 (10022020)
I noticed some strange long lines at 1230 and 0145 which seems to correspond with the minute vent charts
At 0312, this could probably be during my toilet break but why is the minute vent going down instead of up like the leaks at 1230 & 0145 ?
My CAs have also increased  and seems to be clustered. I didnt feel that good upon waking up and felt a bit bloated.
Any possible explanation ?

P/S : I did not pull off the mask except during the toilet break.
        Could the long lines of leaks be mouth breathing incidents ?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Your last set of charts did not include flow rate, and I don't see the strange long lines you are discussing. A change in AHI is normal, and happens to me all the time. Having an event rate less than 1/hour is great, but an occasional 2 or 3 is not cause for alarm or changing therapy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-11-2020, 07:12 AM)Eishan Wrote: Could the long lines of leaks be mouth breathing incidents ?

If, as I assume, you mean on the leak chart, then yes; looks like mouth leaks.
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi guys

Wanted an opinion.
I have a deviated septum in my right nostril
As such is it better for me to sleep on my left or right side ?

Also, will it do any good if I were to wear a soft collar while I sleep to reduce possible apnea events ?
I have cervical spondylosis and occasionally wear the collar when I have neck stiffness but I have never worn it during sleep as I was afraid that it could be dangerous.

Am also posting my recent afternoon nap chart. I have always maintained a zero AHI during my 40 min naps but surprisingly the reading was 3.63 this afternoon ? Just wanted some reassurance that there is no cause of concern due to the sudden change which the first ever non zero occasion in my many months of naps.   

Many thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Many of us deal with a deviated septum, and the best advise I can offer is to sleep in any way you are comfortable. If you have greater flow restriction through your nose in one position over another, feel free to move where you feel best. Nasal therapy with nasal pillows is usually more effective at keeping the nasal passages open, but a proper fitting full fact mask that does not apply too much pressure to the facial sinuses may be your best bet.

A soft cervical collar should not be risky during sleep. Try it and see if it works for you. The arthritis does not increase your health risks, and the collar may help stabilize your cervical spine during sleep. I have not heard of a collar being problem in sleep, especially since you occasionally use one during the day.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 166 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 209 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,362 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
Wink Need help figuring out why severe sleep fragmentation from 3-7 am even on autopap HMG7450 2 546 08-14-2023, 04:38 AM
Last Post: sleep2023
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 808 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility tinyobject 1 1,012 01-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Random nights of short sleep due to several days mounting to too much sleep? CorruptAlligator 2 684 10-19-2022, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Lucid

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.