Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep Fragmentation
Sleep Fragmentation
Hi Guys, newbie here.
Been using APAP for 6 months now and my AHi's are always below 2.0
Problem is I cant have a restful sleep ever since.
I am always getting up at the end of each sleep cycle that is during REM stage after dreaming.
As such, it will be almost every 1.5 hours meaning in a 9 hour sleep period, I would wake up 6 times.
What could be the possible reasons ?
My sleep doctor is also clueless as there are no problems in terms of mask leak, pressure settings. 
Really need some advice. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep Fragmentation
A normal sleep cycle is about 90 minutes. Normal people will have 4 to 5 sleep cycles per night.
Sometimes I awake briefly after the 2nd cycle,sometimes the 3rd cycle, sometimes the 4 cycle.

An AHI of 2 is two disturbances per hour...or 3 disturbances per sleep cycle. Doctors tend to consider an AHI below 5 as good.
Personally I think an AHI below 1 is good...anything more and I don't feel rested the next day.

You might want to consider posting you OSCAR charts so others can see if there is room for improvement.
Post Reply Post Reply
Post your (redacted) sleep study results, and some representative data from OSCAR?
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-24-2020, 08:06 AM)Eishan Wrote: Hi Guys, newbie here.
Been using APAP for 6 months now and my AHi's are always below 2.0
Problem is I cant have a restful sleep ever since.
I am always getting up at the end of each sleep cycle that is during REM stage after dreaming.

I had fragmented sleep like that, too. As I adapted to CPAP therapy it gradually subsided. I figure it just takes time for our bodies and minds to get used to the idea that we don't have to keep waking up to breathe. Who knows how many decades we endured sleep apnea.

I'm told it's common to awaken a few times during the night, but we often don't have a memory of it.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Waking up briefly after REM is not unusual. Also, even younger people will wake up about five times a night:

https://www.uclahealth.org/sleepcenter/sleep-older

But it sounds as though you wake up and stay awake, or actually get up out of bed. Do I have the right picture?

One other thing, just so you know: people dream during sleep stages other than REM. I mention this because I’m not sure how you know you’re waking up after REM (though the timing is certainly suggestive).
Post Reply Post Reply
Prior to SA Therapy, it wasn't unusual for me to get out of bed anywhere from 6-8 times a night to go to the bathroom. 

Now that I'm well into my therapy, it's down to 3-6 times a night. Some might call it an overly sensitive / overly-active bladder issue. I tend to think of it as a royal PITA.  Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
It gets better as your
Body adjusts to therapy.

When I started out, I would wake up couple of times a night and typically around 90 minute intervals. I was good sleep deprived for so many years that the body was taking in 1.5 or 3 hrs of sleep and waking up thinking it has all the rest needed.

Slowly, it went to one wake in the night and now I only wake up in the morning.

One more thing you may want to try is go to fixed pressure and see if that helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
lots of things disturb sleep. could be sleep hygiene and adapting to therapy. I think most of us have to deal with these things. in my case it's periodic limb movement that rouses me many times a night. it's unlikely you'll get much help from the sleep docs (if it's anything like here in the US) so it'll be up to you to scrutinize your charts, sleeping environment and behavior to try and identify the culprit(s). folks here can give you feedback on these as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well you’ve been at it for 6 months not 6 days, so it would be worth your time to download OSCAR and post some charts.

Most doctors only care about AHI, but that is only part of the problem that can disrupt sleep. You shouldn’t be waking up every 90 minutes if your therapy is correct.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Eishan,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 217 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 248 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,401 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
Wink Need help figuring out why severe sleep fragmentation from 3-7 am even on autopap HMG7450 2 568 08-14-2023, 04:38 AM
Last Post: sleep2023
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 829 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility tinyobject 1 1,051 01-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Random nights of short sleep due to several days mounting to too much sleep? CorruptAlligator 2 698 10-19-2022, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Lucid

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.