Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep Number Bed
Sleep Number Bed
I just started therapy and I was wondering if anyone has a sleep number bed and if it helps to raise the head.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep Number Bed
Won't hurt, but if the machine is set right for you I doubt that raising the head is needed. The machine works. Give yourself some time before you go spending money on other things, of course if you need a mattress anyway-well then.
Post Reply Post Reply
Medical supply stores sell wooden boxes you can put under the legs at the bed. They are cheap. I'd try and and see if it helped before I bought a new bed! Are you concerned about swallowing air or GERD?
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleep Number beds, Tempurpedic and others are not cheap! If you get one, it's not for medical necessity, but comfort. There are lots of options for articulating bed frame, but I think they might have equal utility for better sleep, and perhaps better sex. If you want to use CPAP as an excuse, you got my blessing. Smile
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I really like mine but I had it before I started using a CPAP. I like having a little incline when I go to sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have an adjustable Tempurpedic bed. We needed a new mattress anyway and I sleep much better slightly inclined.

Sleep comfort is important; any money spent there isn't wasted.
Sleep-well
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I find raising the head of the bed to be more effective than raising only my upper body, which I think the adjustable beds do. You can emulate an adjustable bed by trying to sleep in a good quality recliner. For me, that causes too much pressure on my butt and also makes it necessary to sleep on my back, which makes my apnea worse.

I'm guessing that the higher you can keep your head in reference to the rest of your body, the lower the fluid pressure will be in the areas that cause sleep apnea. It stands to reason that increased fluid pressure in the throat and tongue would cause them to expand in volume somewhat. No doubt that would make apnea more likely. The trick is to do that without causing other discomfort. Too bad we can't sleep standing up since I breathe much better that way. The first few minutes after lying down to sleep seem to be the worst. I consider that a message from my body that it doesn't really like that position. I think that's typical but YMMV.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
They are pretty pricy. There are other manufacturers that charge less. If I decide to go with an adjustable bed, I'll do a lot more research. Thanks for your replies.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  High Number of Central Apneas HungryPanda 5 453 02-13-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Number of Events? Heaviside 8 333 02-12-2024, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  S10 REF Number The Mask Bandit 2 200 02-05-2024, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] New to APAP. High number of "Clear Airway events". Not sure what to do. lujojo 17 1,131 01-30-2024, 10:14 AM
Last Post: lujojo
  Seeing large number of clear airway events after starting new medication PapaColin 5 323 01-20-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.