Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep PA changing pressure, wants sleep study. Can advice from here hurt my Medicare?
RE: Sleep PA changing pressure, wants sleep study. Can advice from here hurt my Medicare?
(01-20-2022, 04:13 PM)midwestguy Wrote: -- Cervical collar may have softened and been compressed by my chin
I've had lots of trouble making cervical collars work really well. The biggest problem with a collar and an FFM is that the collar pushes on the bottom straps and knocks the mask askew and causes leaks.
I don't like it when the foam parts of the collar overlap, because it's a lot of bulk on the back of my neck and tends to push my head forward -- causing exactly the problem it's supposed to fix! I've McGyvered my collars to remove 5 inches (of the 20 inch length, LOL).
There is a goldilocks problem, too, in that there is a only a very slight difference between too loose and too tight for me. Too tight and it feels like it's pushing my thyroid into my windpipe. Too loose and my chin tucks right under it, and if anything to collar tends to hold it there.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep PA changing pressure, wants sleep study. Can advice from here hurt my Medicare?
(01-20-2022, 10:52 PM)cathyf Wrote: I've had lots of trouble making cervical collars work really well. The biggest problem with a collar and an FFM is that the collar pushes on the bottom straps and knocks the mask askew and causes leaks.
I don't like it when the foam parts of the collar overlap, because it's a lot of bulk on the back of my neck and tends to push my head forward -- causing exactly the problem it's supposed to fix! I've McGyvered my collars to remove 5 inches (of the 20 inch length, LOL).
There is a goldilocks problem, too, in that there is a only a very slight difference between too loose and too tight for me. Too tight and it feels like it's pushing my thyroid into my windpipe. Too loose and my chin tucks right under it, and if anything to collar tends to hold it there.

Here's last night's chart. EPR is actually 3, not 1. SleepyHead is a day behind.

cathyf: Geer1 likes the FFM; Collar fights with the FFM. The N30 fits nicely, out of the way of the collar.
Pretty sure the collar is compressing. As mentioned earlier in this thread, Saturday will be
devoted going through  the existing collars. Goldilocks is familiar.

Geer1: The label for leaks reads "Large Leaks." So anything smaller than "Large" (do we know?) is zero. Still guessing.

Thanks, everyone.
Thanks to everyone who helps us get a better night's sleep.

Anything I post here or elsewhere on these forums is my opinion, not medical advice. Medical advice comes from a doctor.
An Advisory Member is a member of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.
Such membership does not imply medical expertise or qualifications for advising sleep apnea patients about their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Geer1, good catch re the strange ventilation numbers. I also see that the leak line is always zero. That too seems strange, though I don’t know what conclusion to draw.

Trying mouth tape sounds like a good experiment. Somnifix isn’t cheap, but it is gentle on the skin and sticks well unless you drool a lot. Investing in one box might make sense. I buttress mine with some BSN white stretchy medical cover tape, cutting pieces off a roll of the stuff.
Post Reply Post Reply
You have 3 chart areas to look at for leaks, the right side chart trace, the Large Leak top left, and lower down left side is the leak summary statistics of Min/Med/95/Max.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-21-2022, 04:23 PM)Dormeo Wrote: Geer1, good catch re the strange ventilation numbers. I also see that the leak line is always zero. That too seems strange, though I don’t know what conclusion to draw.

Trying mouth tape sounds like a good experiment. Somnifix isn’t cheap, but it is gentle on the skin and sticks well unless you drool a lot. Investing in one box might make sense. I buttress mine with some BSN white stretchy medical cover tape, cutting pieces off a roll of the stuff.

Dormeo: Agree about trying mouth tape. I’d like to get the cervical collar nailed down first. One change at a time. Hope the tape isn’t too expensive.

Thanks,

Harv

Anything I post here or elsewhere on these forums is my opinion, not medical advice. Medical advice comes from a doctor.
An Advisory Member is a member of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.
Such membership does not imply medical expertise or qualifications for advising sleep apnea patients about their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Post a screenshot of your overview tab showing leak rate chart for last year range (range is bottom left).
Post Reply Post Reply
I assume you have access to some other computer (friend, family, work, library etc). I would be curious to see if your data looks the same on OSCAR, if there is no way to run it on your computer it is worth trying on another computer.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-21-2022, 04:37 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: You have 3 chart areas to look at for leaks, the right side chart trace, the Large Leak top left, and lower down left side is the leak summary statistics of Min/Med/95/Max.
Dave, I don't understand "the right side chart trace." It's zero across the night.
Isn't Large Leak the zero value that implies mouth breathing?
I see the summary statistics. The leak value is zero for all.

Here's last night's result. No collar, other things as before. FWIW.

Best,

Harv

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-21-2022, 11:34 PM)Geer1 Wrote: I assume you have access to some other computer (friend, family, work, library etc). I would be curious to see if your data looks the same on OSCAR, if there is no way to run it on your computer it is worth trying on another computer.

I dunno, Geer1. Library runs Windows, won't allow users to install their own software.
Family is a possibility. Son is in CA, granddaughter is local. Both busy.
The friend most likely to install OSCAR has an ancient Mac, too.
The next most likely is in TN. We could probably work that out. Also a Windows user.

I will do a search and contact the Software folks about this. Since OSCAR is a fork of SleepyHead,
they may have an answer that will save our trying the experiment.

Thanks,

Harv

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-22-2022, 11:45 AM)midwestguy Wrote: I dunno, Geer1. Library runs Windows, won't allow users to install their own software.
Family is a possibility. Son is in CA, granddaughter is local. Both busy.
The friend most likely to install OSCAR has an ancient Mac, too.
The next most likely is in TN. We could probably work that out. Also a Windows user.

I will do a search and contact the Software folks about this. Since OSCAR is a fork of SleepyHead,
they may have an answer that will save our trying the experiment.

Thanks,

Harv
So far, all I have is this, from a discussion about adding a feature to OSCAR:

Not sure it's relevant.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 281 2 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 99 Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  I need sleep badly! Any help with OSCAR is appreciated Quitethe1 73 1,686 Yesterday, 01:55 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 169 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 234 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 77 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.