Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep PA changing pressure, wants sleep study. Can advice from here hurt my Medicare?
RE: Sleep PA changing pressure, wants sleep study. Can advice from here hurt my Medicare?
(01-31-2022, 01:11 PM)cathyf Wrote: MWG -- that picture is terrifying. Each of those places where the pressure curve cuts out and then comes back in at the level it was before rather than the min pressure is when the machine turned itself off and then comes back on.
Isn't this what happens when "Smart"Start is turned off?

(01-31-2022, 01:11 PM)cathyf Wrote: What do the zooms look like? Are you showing a flow rate curve that flattens out and disappears but you aren't showing events at that exact moment?

Will post some.
(01-31-2022, 01:11 PM)cathyf Wrote: Is there any possibility that the power in your house is cutting in and out?

Other question is whether the power supply is cutting in and out, or whether the power brick is malfunctioning.
Yeah, those are good questions. House power doubtful, but power supply or the brick
are more likely. My computer has a UPS on it. But it wouldn't catch short duration outages.

Thanks, cathyf
Thanks to everyone who helps us get a better night's sleep.

Anything I post here or elsewhere on these forums is my opinion, not medical advice. Medical advice comes from a doctor.
An Advisory Member is a member of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.
Such membership does not imply medical expertise or qualifications for advising sleep apnea patients about their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep PA changing pressure, wants sleep study. Can advice from here hurt my Medicare?
The DME's remind me of truck companies I used to drive for. Every department, management, dispatch, shop, billing, dock workers, payroll, insurance, etc... Each department has their interpretation of the employee handbook guide. And according to each individual department they're right and everyone else must be wrong. Tons of interpretation and conflict with not much getting done.
Help line number 800 INO NUTN
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-30-2022, 11:12 PM)Geer1 Wrote: Looks like you shut off the machine multiple times (0:00, 3:20, 5:30, 7:30) but yet again you can see multiple unexplained gaps in data (1:20, 2:20, 2:30, 6:10, 7:10). A tech should be able to tell something isn't right just from viewing the data but you probably will have to take it in.

Geer1 refers to the chart in post 133 for January 27. cathyf asked for zooms of that data.
One set is 00:00, 01:15, 02:20. The second set is 03:20, 05:25, 07:30. Others on request.

Anything I post here or elsewhere on these forums is my opinion, not medical advice. Medical advice comes from a doctor.
An Advisory Member is a member of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.
Such membership does not imply medical expertise or qualifications for advising sleep apnea patients about their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Here's the first set of zooms: 00:00, 01:15, 02:20.

Post Reply Post Reply
Here's the second set: 03:20, 05:25, 07:30.

Note to cathyf: the pressure at 07:30 comes back at the set minimum pressure.

Post Reply Post Reply
If you look at where I dropped arrows on your screenshot --

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/attachm...?aid=39476

Look for the magenta arrows. They are at ~1:20, ~2:25, ~2:30, ~6:10 and ~7:10. The breaks at ~midnight, ~3:30, ~5:30, ~7:30 are where you turned the machine off and on, which you can tell because when it comes back on it comes back at the minimum pressure. Whereas those times when it comes back in at the same (higher-than-minimum) pressure as it was running when it cut out are when the machine simply decided to turn itself off without you telling it to. What I'm seeing in the 2:16:50-2:22:35 picture
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/attachm...?aid=39508
is that your breathing got so shallow the machine didn't know what to do, and -- OMG -- it turned itself off!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Cathyf he has smartstart turned off but yes his machine keeps turning off. Data recorded looks suspect too hence why he is looking at getting a repair/replacement. I don't trust any of his data or that the machine is working properly, imo there is no point trying to interpret the data until he gets a new machine that works properly.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2022, 10:56 PM)Geer1 Wrote: Cathyf he has smartstart turned off but yes his machine keeps turning off. Data recorded looks suspect too hence why he is looking at getting a repair/replacement. I don't trust any of his data or that the machine is working properly, imo there is no point trying to interpret the data until he gets a new machine that works properly.
What he said. Sad Sad Sad Sad  No reply to email sent yesterday. Back on the phone tomorrow.

Thanks, Geer1

Post Reply Post Reply
Talk about the difference between night and day...

Called the DME. Successfully negotiated the menu tree.
Was on hold for about 15 seconds before talking to a
person. Most of that time was spent looking up my
records.

I have a Friday, Feb. 4 appointment at a Chicago
office, much closer than the one I traveled to in
the western 'burbs. Everything goes there, since
it's likely I'll get a loaner.

I'm one happy camper. Finally, some progress
with the machine! Okay

Best,

Harv

Post Reply Post Reply
This long-running thread about my sleep PA and Medicare
has served its purpose. With my replacement A11, we can
now zero in on things other than the old broken machine
that can affect my sleep. Mouth breathing, cervical collar, etc.
The graphs will now mean something. A new thread seems
appropriate.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...new-thread

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation Frequent Jolting in Sleep Pawpri 1 17 1 hour ago
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 44 1,820 4 hours ago
Last Post: akarifur
  I need sleep badly! Any help with OSCAR is appreciated Quitethe1 77 1,752 5 hours ago
Last Post: Quitethe1
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 4 124 6 hours ago
Last Post: OpalRose
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 302 Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 179 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 246 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.