Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep Quality
RE: Sleep Quality
I think that was a comment from an overnight sleep tech. Rolleyes

They are probably instructed not to share with patients any information. Just to make sure the overnight collection goes smoothly, so that lab can get paid by the government.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-20-2018, 01:59 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote:
(09-20-2018, 09:16 AM)DaveL Wrote: ...
He would do everything. ...

Thanks

OK, does he think your mask and machine are comfortable? If he does EVERYTHING, he's doing your therapy time too.
Not making fun of you at all, but the doc has gone a little Ducky on you there. We know ducks go Quack. Coffee

This was the sleep tech.  I haven't met my sleep doc yet.

Sleep tech suited me up and did my sleep study.  He only knows what he's told.

My old doc didn't care a hoot.  I had to prove I'd worn the mask and blower every night: cpap hours were all he was interested in.  Hospital had the DME franchise.  After he prescribed you ran there and had 3 choices of machine.  cost a lot/cost even more/extremely expensive

No substitutions were allowed. You got the mask you got, with the machine you chose.

I asked that sleep doc what had changed in cpap therapy? He said nothing had.  I said "what about heated hoses and nasal pillow masks?"  He said "you don't need those. I found a used S9 with humidifier and bought that; then I bought a heated hose.

cpap has changed my life. The therapy works. However, for what I'm paying I want freedom to buy the best, most comfortable equipment available.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
WOW, no mask choice would be really hard to take. I got to choose whatever I thought was best as a mask.

Hope my comment didn't come across badly. I certainly don't expect the doc or RT or whoever to actually do everything, but sometimes my sarcastic side pops up.

Coffee here's to a most successful xPAP therapy you can possibly get.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-20-2018, 02:07 PM)silentsnore Wrote: I think that was a comment from an overnight sleep tech. Rolleyes

They are probably instructed not to share with patients any information. Just to make sure the overnight collection goes smoothly, so that lab can get paid by the government.

You're right.

Interpretation of the results is done by the sleep doc.

I haven't heard how I did yet.  I know I still have apnea.  I'll get 2 prescriptions; mask/pressure. I don't need a new machine.
The sleep doc wanted to sell me a new machine. I said no.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it. S9E is fine and works well.  Humidifier chamber was just replaced; so was my heated hose. So was my mask.
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-20-2018, 02:18 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: WOW, no mask choice would be really hard to take. I got to choose whatever I thought was best as a mask.

Hope my comment didn't come across badly. I certainly don't expect the doc or RT or whoever to actually do everything, but sometimes my sarcastic side pops up.

Coffee here's to a most successful xPAP therapy you can possibly get.

No choice in mask was really hard to take.  Their mask was total crap.Awful head gear. Bad seal.  I P*ssed them off saying, "If I have to wear this crap it has to work and be comfortable".

I found my new DME after that by asking everyone I knew with OSA where they went and if they were happy. A friend I respect referred me to this DME 2 cities away. I travel a distance to get my stuff, because they answer questions, and loan me masks to try.  My friend went to the same sleep doc I was recently referred to. So all may not be lost.  Unfortunately, even if I knew the best sleep doc in the world I wouldn't be able to get a referral with the system we have.

I met a gentleman recently who buys his machines used.  He has 2 autopap machines. Both used.  He buys the most popular mask and it works for him.

Reinforcing...my DME is excellent. 

They charge an awful lot.

Sarcasm is good...no worries.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-20-2018, 02:26 PM)DaveL Wrote: Unfortunately, even if I knew the best sleep doc in the world I wouldn't be able to get a referral with the system we have.

Psst, DaveL, just for future reference... if you need a new referral, just go to any walk-in clinic and tell attending Dr all your OSA symptoms. Then ask to be referred to Xyz doctor/clinic.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone. You help a lot.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW I personally find that limitations on that mask choice a serious bad idea. The mask is the one area that your therapy hinges on as being absolutely vital to a success or a fail. You being under PAP pressure for years know what I mean here. Get the mask right and all is well, get it wrong and it's all wrong. Of course, there are situations where a machine change is required as well. But you know what I'm getting at. Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do. Mask is key.
Masks go bad with time.
I find sleepyhead helps me when my numbers go bad.
Then I buy a new mask and I'm good again.

I've had a bump under my nose Started with a wisp. Now they want to cut it off. Alarmist says its cancer without doing any tests.

Masks are key. My ResMed N20 is beautiful.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
Follow up: my referral to a new sleep doc worked out. He took forever to meet with me finally and summarize my results

However, he is the first sleep doc that I've met that is concerned about healing and sleep quality.

He explained that my previous pressure was 11 and that prevented apnea events. However, I needed a higher pressure to allow deep sleep, curative sleep. I increased my pressure to 13 the night I heard that.

I feel better.

I feel more rested. I wake up more refreshed. It took several days to get used to higher pressure. Stomach ache the first day. Tooted for days! (swallowing air?)
It's been a while now at 13.

New sleep doc is money grabbing though. The mask prescription is for one mask. No renewals.

That's Dr Awad in Oakville Burlington Ontario if anyone is looking. Sleep doc.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question INTUS Sleep results, mild sleep apnea or UARS? Chimken 2 107 Yesterday, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Just had a sleep study - Central Sleep Apnea with Cheyne Stokes srpmccarthy 3 171 Yesterday, 11:10 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Ohmy Very Poor Quality of OSA Research and Almost Non-existent Specific CPAP Testing mdmarmd 1 155 04-13-2024, 01:06 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Poor quality sleep on ASV with good AHI sleepydawg99 10 795 04-03-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 230 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Poor Sleep Quality/ Respiratory Rates flyingg103 3 311 02-29-2024, 08:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 264 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.