Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep Study Expires?
Sleep Study Expires?
Just got a call from my PCP stating that my insurance company will require a new sleep study to be done in order to justify my continued use of my CPAP device. The original split study was done in October of 2013. The brick machine I was issued at the time has been replaced by my current device on the advice of my PCP, who specializes in sleep medicine.

I know that sleep apnea is not "curable" per se but controlled through weight loss, surgery, and of course CPAP therapy. I'm curious as to why I have to go through another study to continue my treatment.
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep Study Expires?
Have you changed insurance companies?

You would be wise to call your insurance company directly (not take a DME’s word) and ask what the requirements are.

How did you get your current machine without insurance approval?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have a copy of your last sleep study (you really should), you can contact your insurance company and request that they approve your new machine based on the previous sleep study. It would save them money and time. Since you can offer them the evidence of your original diagnosis, they would be wise to avoid this cost and inconvenience. I would not necessarily assume the doctor provided them this information, and they may not have it in their records, thus the need for a study.

If they do end up requiring a new study, just 5 years after your last study, please drop the name of the insurer, so I know who to avoid.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The original machine issued following the sleep study was paid for by my insurance company, and partially myself through co-pays. The insurance company I had at the time of the NEW machine issue was Coventry, Medicare supplement plan. It was prescribed by my PCP in August of 2017 and approved. He arranged everything with Coventry and I was shipped the current machine in September which I'm using now. I met the compliance requirements and everything was good.

I have since changed insurance during January open enrollment because Coventry was dropping my doctor and several of my meds. I am with Preferred Care Partners now, also Medicare supplement. I haven't figured out who is requesting the sleep study, but I did get a call from the DME (Apria) telling me I needed to see my doctor and discuss my CPAP therapy. I'm sure they are aware of my compliance because I was getting regular emails from Apria telling me how well I was doing with the therapy.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2018, 12:03 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: If you have a copy of your last sleep study (you really should), you can contact your insurance company and request that they approve your new machine based on the previous sleep study. 

If they do end up requiring a new study, just 5 years after your last study, please drop the name of the insurer, so I know who to avoid.

Sadly I don't have a copy of my original sleep study. I didn't think to get one at the time, but I'm sure the clinic where I had it done still has it. I never thought I would have the need for this information way back then. 

This begs the question of why wouldn't whoever is requesting the new study just contact the clinic for a copy of the original.

I think I might need to contact both Apria and Preferred Care Partners and find out what the problem is.

Post Reply Post Reply
My sleep study was performed 17 years ago. I have changed insurers twice since then and DMEs as well. I had no problem getting a new machine last year.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Silly me, I thought the 99 year script should have covered you (yes I have both PSG and script). I guess your change of insurance companies may have caused this. Advise you get a big cup of coffee while dealing with the remotely located infamous Apria customer service. I know from experience, you'll be on the phone for about an hour each time you call them. Nevertheless, some of their CS agents really do a very good job of helping.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a feeling there is a communication issue somewhere between my Apria and my insurance company. 

It's very difficult to get proper information from my PCP office due to a language difference (strong Hispanic accent) and it doesn't sound like the girl I've been talking to has a full understanding of what's being asked. I will be visiting the office soon, so hopefully I can get more information then.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2018, 04:17 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote:  Advise you get a big cup of coffee while dealing with the remotely located infamous Apria customer service. 

Coffee

I agree, Dave. Coffee seems to even out even the most exasperating experience.  Coffee
I will go fully armed for the occasion.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2018, 04:22 PM)upsman Wrote: I have a feeling there is a communication issue somewhere between my Apria and my insurance company. 

It's very difficult to get proper information from my PCP office due to a language difference (strong Hispanic accent) and it doesn't sound like the girl I've been talking to has a full understanding of what's being asked. I will be visiting the office soon, so hopefully I can get more information then.

Your feeling is being confirmed by me, at least the Apria portion. Some of their Customer Service calls are handled off shore. My resolution was to make multiple calls until the issue at hand was resolved.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 247 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 78 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 535 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 193 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 149 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 68 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.