Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep Study Report Question
Sleep Study Report Question
Hello ... can someone explain what these numbers mean? This is from 12/4/17, so I am really new to this. I just received my own CPAP machine this past Friday. I have downloaded SleepyHead but have not learned what to do with it yet. 

Thanks Much ... JoLyn

Ambulatory home-based nocturnal sleep study Interpretation report:
For more information, please see additional data provided in sleep tech note and scanned sleep report. 

Summary of study data::
· Valid sleep time= 5 hours, 55 minutes.   
· All night pRDI= 38.3/h and pAHI= 34.1/h.  
? Supine pRDI= 38.2/h and pAHI= 34.0/h.
· SpO2 data: Mean = 91%, minimal 74% and < 90% is 11.8% of TST. 

Findings:
· Study is valid and the data are acceptable.
· This study is consistent with severe sleep apnea.
· Oximetry data consistent with moderate abnormality. 

Recommendation:
· Sleep lab will schedule patient for home-based 7 night A-PAP trial to determine compliance and ideal therapeutic pressure range
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep Study Report Question
Hi Jo! Your sleep study resulted in a moderate to severe sleep apnea result. The RDI means respiratory related arousals, and apnea means a cessation of breathing of at least 10 seconds. Most of your events were apnea (34 of 38 arousal events). Your home study did not differentiate obstructive or central events, but this looks like plain obstructive apnea. You slept a bit less than 6-hours with 38 events per hour, so you had a total of about 228 events and your minimum oxygen levels showed a pretty serious desauration to 74%, and your O2 levels were impaired on average most of the night.

You will probably do great with CPAP. Looks like they will give you an auto CPAP to verify you can tolerate and use CPAP, and then provide a machine with either a single fixed pressure, or a pressure range on auto CPAP. Hopefully the latter. If you do not tolerate (demonstrate compliance on) the auto CPAP for some reason they will look at other options.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
This means that you have Severe Sleep Apnea with 34 breathing stoppages or reductions per hour while you are sleeping.
 the "SpO2 data: Mean = 91%, minimal 74% and < 90% is 11.8% of TST" means your blood oxygen levels are too low (<90%) for 11.8% of the time that you are sleeping.

Don't worry, many of us here are much worse.

Starting now let your doctor know that you want an Auto CPAP such as the ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet for Her with a heated hose as your machine unless the titration study indicates a more advanced machine is indicated.  

It also means that you need a CPAP machine

At this point I will ask you to do some reading.

1: New to Apnea? Helpful tips to ensure success  This Wiki article is so important it is included in the sticky section above so it is always available.

2: Dealing with a DME  Many, not all, have had issues with DMEs, hopefully not you.  Be prepared.

3: Mask Primer Often the hardest part of treatment is the mask.  This speaks to a mask trial strategy and dealing with various mask issues.  Very important

4: Do not be afraid to ask question here.  Everyone here has had experience with all of this

Stay in touch.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Sleeprider and Fred... I do have my machine, ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet. I started using it this past Friday with a ResMed F10 mask that is too big. I will be receiving a new mask shortly, The ResMed P10 pillow mask. It will take me some time to digest the information you both have given me. I so appreciate you both!!

JoLyn
Post Reply Post Reply

This is the info from SleepyHead for the past couple of days. I have been having real problems sleeping and with my mask!
Post Reply Post Reply
Based on your stats you don't have a leak problem.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting that your all-night numbers and your supine (on your back) numbers were so close.

My numbers were really bad when on my back, the rest of the night I was on my side and my numbers were much lower but still high enough for an OSA diagnosis.
Post Reply Post Reply
The overview does not really tell us what we need to know. You are using pressure of 8-13 with EPR off, and apparently are using ramp starting at 4. Your median pressure is nearly 11, and the maximum is 13. Without the detail charts we have no idea what is driving pressure, or how events are corresponding to pressure. I'd rather see a Daily Details chart. Your results are okay, but there is room for improvement, and I think you might find some EPR more comfortable. Very good start all considered.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-08-2018, 08:15 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: The overview does not really tell us what we need to know.

Over the next couple of days, I will read the beginner's guide and learn how to do that. 

Thanks,

JoLyn
Post Reply Post Reply
JoLyn,
Post a screenshot of the Daily screen.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just had a sleep study - Central Sleep Apnea with Cheyne Stokes srpmccarthy 5 224 1 hour ago
Last Post: srpmccarthy
  First night with new Bipap after sleep study and 37 AHI mostly CA PandaZA 89 1,640 04-23-2024, 07:59 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question INTUS Sleep results, mild sleep apnea or UARS? Chimken 2 117 04-23-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Diagnosis] Got sleep study results and I am quite fustrated ewarner64 10 287 04-22-2024, 01:16 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  My sleep study (starting out) sabletaurus 5 205 04-16-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Diagnosis] Second opinion on study is needed please Abdulfakih 17 415 04-04-2024, 08:42 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Do I not need a CPAP anymore? In-Lab Study Results brehski 6 258 04-03-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.