Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep Study Results
RE: Sleep Study Results
Sleep study August 2013. Severe sleep apnea, RDI 91, AHI 89, O2 desaturation index 79.7 with nadir desaturation of 65%.

Current AHI average 0.5, O2 basal 93.9% with a nadir of 88%.

Unfortunately the undiagnosed OSA has resulted in an eye condition where I have lost macular vision in 1 eye but with therapy things are now good and getting better.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-06-2014, 11:18 PM)retired_guy Wrote: I had something like 5 sleeping on my side, and 14 in 30 minutes sleeping on my back. I don't think I logged much more than maybe 4 hours of sleep the whole night.

those are pretty low numbers so it goes to show us all that even though the numbers are on the lower side, it can still have a great affect on our sleep quality and quality of life.

If anyone has friends and/or family members that you suspect may have SA, encourage them to get tested for it. It just may save their life.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mine was 62. I used to nod off in the car every day on the way to work - on the days I actually went to work. Sometimes I pulled over on the shoulder for a nap, sometimes I turned around and went home, but usually I just pushed on and managed to stay awake until I got to the office and had a huge caffeine hit. And I never woke up without a headache.

Things aren't perfect these days, but they're a heck of a lot better than they were.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2014, 04:58 AM)me50 Wrote:
(02-06-2014, 11:18 PM)retired_guy Wrote: I had something like 5 sleeping on my side, and 14 in 30 minutes sleeping on my back. I don't think I logged much more than maybe 4 hours of sleep the whole night.

those are pretty low numbers so it goes to show us all that even though the numbers are on the lower side, it can still have a great affect on our sleep quality and quality of life.

If anyone has friends and/or family members that you suspect may have SA, encourage them to get tested for it. It just may save their life.

Yes, I agree. I had the good fortune to find a super doc specializing in sleep problems. Her take was that the numbers I had sleeping on my back were very marginal as to whether or not anything should be done. Those on my back were another matter since clearly any attempt to sleep on my back resulted in problems. But since I acknowledged that I had not been able to sleep on my back for years, should I be treated? Then she looked at the "lifestyle." The falling asleep when driving, moving out of the bedroom because of loud REALLY loud snoring, not being able to watch a single tv show without dozing off, that sort of stuff. Clearly she felt I could benefit from cpap. And, since starting therepy, those symptoms plus a bunch more I did not know were related, such as acid reflux disease, have gone away.
Post Reply Post Reply
My numbers are pretty high, not as hihgh as some of the recent posters, AHI 49 Severe Apnea (but they probably should have another name for this Very Severe and another for those that are even higher EXTREME Apnea, or The Walking Dead Smile)

The weirdness with me is that although I had half the indicators for apnea (snoring, overweight, hypertension, cardiac issue) I had practically NONE of the lifestyle issues or "comfort" issues like, so no headache, no extreme sleepyness, no foggyhead or memory loss, no feeling tire particularly, etc.

When I was up I was good; and when I slept it FELT good despite waking up and going back to sleep a bit. I might take a nap but then I might get by with little or no sleep too.

I love sleep but within reason (or even a bit beyond reason) sleep was never a "necessity" for me nor an issue.

Long ago, my job required me to stay awake for multiple days on occasion -- 48 hours was common, and 3 times I went beyond 60, up to 65 while still performing a job that require both strong engineering skills and some physical stamina.

This was working in the oil field as a "Directional Drilling Consultant" predicting and directing the path of downhole drilling and working on the drill floor to DIRECT the operation -- the physical part was mostly walking up and down large flights of steel steps and standing mostly as the drill crew would do the physical labor for me mostly. I did have to handle a few large tools but could get assistance for most of that especially when the hours would get long -- they worked 12 hours on and 12 hours of and would take pity on me. Smile

In the military, I also had jobs that involved long hours awake with no big issue.

20 years ago, I had a NEGATIVE SLEEP STUDY (due to the snoring) so since I didn't feel any worse there seemed little reason to go through that again

Then my dentist offered me a $160 pulse oximeter home test (2 nights wearing the sensor) and I jumped at the chance to get some evidence without a large expense or inconvenience.

Needless to say, the pulse ox was showing me desatting about every 2 minutes or less, and getting down as low a 64% while spending a large part of the night below 88.

Although the pulse ox is not a definitive test this provided strong indication and I went straight to the sleep doc -- so here I am on APAP and doing quite well (thanks in some serious part to the people here on this and the other forum.)

Thank you all (again.)
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
I first had an overnight oximeter which showed I desaturated my oxygen below 88% many times per night.
then a sleep study showed that I had 44 hyponeas during the night. My actual AHI was lower than most being
only 7. Because I was so symptomatic and suffering long spells of not breathing they diagnosed me with mild sleep apnea but prescribed CPAP to see if they could keep my oxygen level up during the night without supplemental oxygen. Fortunately it worked and my AHI now is usually <0.5
Post Reply Post Reply
This is a good thread. What we're seeing is what I would have imagined, and that is there is a huge range in the readings and symptoms of sleep disorder. It's rather mind blowing that so many people with varying high, very high, low or whatever "ahi's" or "hypop's" or "daytime drowsiness" or whatever can be helped with the cpap techniques.
I'm thinking "manufacturing defect" here. Maybe we should be recalled?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2014, 06:30 PM)retired_guy Wrote: I'm thinking "manufacturing defect" here. Maybe we should be recalled?

I know you're saying this light heartedly and joking around, but I really do feel that way Sad it really sucks...Sad

I am not overweight, I don't even snore yet I have been diagnosed with severe OSA. It's just a defect in my breathing mechanics that my doctor says can very well be genetic that I can pass on to my kids.

As someone that is still young, dating and looking for a mate I can't help but think a cpap machine the first night a girl sleeps over after a romantic night out is going to be a total turn off and weird. Also if she puts 2 and 2 together and does a simple google search she will see I have none f the signs and that it has to be genetic, and she won't want my kids.....sigh....
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2014, 09:22 PM)SnuffySleeper Wrote:
(02-07-2014, 06:30 PM)retired_guy Wrote: I'm thinking "manufacturing defect" here. Maybe we should be recalled?

I know you're saying this light heartedly and joking around, but I really do feel that way Sad it really sucks...Sad

I am not overweight, I don't even snore yet I have been diagnosed with severe OSA. It's just a defect in my breathing mechanics that my doctor says can very well be genetic that I can pass on to my kids.

As someone that is still young, dating and looking for a mate I can't help but think a cpap machine the first night a girl sleeps over after a romantic night out is going to be a total turn off and weird. Also if she puts 2 and 2 together and does a simple google search she will see I have none f the signs and that it has to be genetic, and she won't want my kids.....sigh....

If that is the case, that isn't the person you should want to spend the rest of your life with. There are worse genetic illnesses than treated OSA. Just sayin
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2014, 09:37 PM)me50 Wrote:
(02-07-2014, 09:22 PM)SnuffySleeper Wrote:

If that is the case, that isn't the person you should want to spend the rest of your life with. There are worse genetic illnesses than treated OSA. Just sayin

Yeah, I know, I would hope I never fall for someone so shallow, but love is crazy. I am just going through a feel sorry for myself phase as I have never been diagnosed with something that is life long like this before. Sorry.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 234 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 76 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 133 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 119 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 145 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.