Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep Study Results
Sleep Study Results
Hello All, I posted that I was going for a sleep study on 10/26. I have my results and I'd like to post them, in the hope that I can get some feedback on recommendations as to the equipment I should use. I am having a tech come tomorrow. He is stating to me that the Resmed S9 (I think he said) is a good machine. I want to make sure that I get something that is as good as possible as I'd like to be able to easily get data results, have a good humidifier, easy cleaning, etc. and would really appreciate your input.

I know that the mask is a very subjective thing and hard for you to give feeback on.

Here are the results:

First test w/o machine: AHI's of 18 and desaturation of 86% w/o CPAP.

With CPAP:

Sleep efficiency of 91.9%
Sleep Latency of 9.5 minutes

Sleep Staging:
N1 7.4%, N2 67.2%, N3 was decreased at 11.8%, Stage R was decreased at 13.5%,.

Stage R Latency was normal at 72.5 minutes. 2 Rem periods over 329.5 minutes of sleep time.

CPAP was applied at a start of 5 and maximum of 9.

The AHI was reduced from 17.60 to 1.8/events per hour. 1 central apnea was seen at a pressure of 9.
4 RERA's were seen at the effective pressure
Respitory disturbance index was 9.3 events/hr at the 9 level.
Patient was below 90% oximetry for 0% of the time studied.

Cardiac Data
59.9 bpm in non-REM, 61.7 bpm in REM without display of variable heart rate.

Seizures: None

Arousal Statistics:
70 arousals during the study period.
3 Respitory, 34 spontaneous, 33 RERA/UAR, 12 awakenings with an arousal index of 12.7. The RERA/UAR is 6 events/hr.
Patients sleep was mildly fragmented.

PLM Stats:
0 limb movements

Impressions:
Moderate Obstructive Sleep Apnea

Optimal Pressure: 9

Recommedation:

CPAP at a pressure of 9-10 cm H20 usinga mask with chin strap with a heated humidifier. C-Flex or EPR technology may be preferred for better tolerance. DME to reconfirm mask size and fit. Machine should be equipped with a smartcard or modem to download data about compliance and efficacy in the near future.

Any feedback on machine recommendations today would be very much appreciated!

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep Study Results
The recommendations is pretty accurate. You want a machine that is data capable, most of all. Check out what Archangle has to say:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Paula,

You're always a big help. I appreciate it!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
I remember when I had sleep test done at local hospital here and being wired up with electrodes. Saw the Dr at the sleep clinic the next morning and she showed me my results on the computer screen. Even I could see the difference in non CPAP sleep and CPAP sleep. She pointed to 2 or 3 black boxes on screen and said here here and here you were dreaming during CPAP sleep.
I'm not a Doctor but a fan of The Doctor. any views,comments etc are my own

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-07-2013, 12:00 PM)Philipg33 Wrote: He is stating to me that the Resmed S9 (I think he said) is a good machine. I want to make sure that I get something that is as good as possible as I'd like to be able to easily get data results, have a good humidifier, easy cleaning, etc. and would really appreciate your input.
Ask the doctor to specify the machine you want on the prescription and write "dispense as written"

Not all S9 models shows efficacy data ... AutoSet and Elite do, Escape and Escape Auto don,t (model name shown next to power button)

I would ask for the AutoSet because CPAP pressure of 9-10 is recommended. Fixed pressure machine can only deliver a constant pressure all night long while the AutoSet can be set to deliver a constant pressure (CPAP mode) all night or auto-adjusting (AutoSet mode)

Here some sleep study terms explained http://www.ucmc150.uchicago.edu/sleep/terms.html

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the link to sleep study terms Zonk. That was very helpful!
Post Reply Post Reply
Good link, zonk. I added it to the acronym/abbreviation page of the wiki.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Ditto the S9 AutoSet recommendation.

On the one hand, the doctor (and people here including me) will say to try something for a week or so before evaluating how good it is. On the other hand, the sleep study CPAP pressure recommendation is based on one night's sleep in an unfamiliar environment in an unfamiliar bed while wired with electrodes. With an S9 AutoSet (or the Philips Respironics equivalent), the machine will automatically determine the correct pressure setting for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-07-2013, 12:00 PM)Philipg33 Wrote: CPAP was applied at a start of 5 and maximum of 9.

The AHI was reduced from 17.60 to 1.8/events per hour. 1 central apnea was seen at a pressure of 9.

Hi Philipg33, welcome to the forum!

I recommend pushing hard for an S9 AutoSet or a PRS1 Auto (DS560). If it is not written explicitly on prescription I think it is highly unlikely the Durable Medical Equipment (DME) provider will provide an auto-adjusting machine.

Perhaps your doctor will not be concerned about the 4 RERA's, but if you find yourself still fighting fatigue after several months of PAP therapy, consider asking your doc to let you try a bi-level machine.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...rry+krakow

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-07-2013, 11:24 PM)vsheline Wrote:
(11-07-2013, 12:00 PM)Philipg33 Wrote: CPAP was applied at a start of 5 and maximum of 9.

Hi Philipg33, welcome to the forum!

I recommend pushing hard for an S9 AutoSet or a PRS1 Auto (DS560). If it is not written explicitly on prescription I think it is highly unlikely the Durable Medical Equipment (DME) provider will provide an auto-adjusting machine.

Perhaps your doctor will not be concerned about the 4 RERA's, but if you find yourself still fighting fatigue after several months of PAP therapy, consider asking your doc to let you try a bi-level machine.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...rry+krakow

Take care,
--- Vaughn

Thank you Vaughn for this reply. As always, the people on this board are very helpful and much appreciated.

can you give me a better understanding of RERA's? I was on CPAP 10 years ago and could never fall asleep with the mask on. The liners, which were not sold to my knowledge at that time, made a huge difference for me and I am not falling asleep with the unit in tact on my face (using a Resmed S7). I notice that I am not waking up much at all during the night but I will say, I still feel tired. So now you've got me wondering....

Thanks Vaughn!

Phil
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 229 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 76 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 531 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 133 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 118 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 144 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.