Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep Study
Sleep Study
Hi everyone,

I just had a sleep study done because my wife informs me that I could have sleep apnea. She says sometimes I stop breathing and can last for a while before I wake gasping for air. I don't believe this happens regularly. Some days I wake feeling refreshed and like I got a good nights sleep. Other nights I feel chest pain upon waking and I feel exhausted.

I know that it will take several days to get my responses back but I woke up by the technician this morning and I felt refreshed, leading me to believe I probably was sleeping very soundly with little snoring. Is it possible to have occasional sleep apnea and if so how do they test for it?

My snoring can be dealt with most nights by my wife and usually she can just roll me and I stop. However other nights it's so severe she can go and sleep on the first floor and still hear me in my closed room on the second floor, and we do have white noise that plays too. I run 2 fans.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep Study
Well Kevin, it sounds like you may have OSA. Just wait for the results of your test to find out for sure. Yes, it's possible to have apneas some nights, and not others, depending on your condition. Even if you don't have sleep apnea, please think about your wife. If she's waking up to turn you over, or even going to the extent of moving to a different floor to escape your snoring, then something is wrong, and you need to address the issue for your own personal health, and the health of your relationship.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board - Snoring is one of the Symptoms of sleep apnea.
Even with CPAP every night is different and cannot tell if going to have a good night or bad night.

Left untreated, sleep apnea may be a risk factor to:
Type 2 Diabetes - more than 7 out of 10 people with Type 2 Diabetes have sleep apnea
High blood pressure - more than 3 out of 10 people with sleep apnea have high blood pressure
Stroke - 7 out of 10 people who have had a stroke have sleep apnea
Heart failure - up to 7 out of 10 people with chronic heart failure have sleep apnea
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, sleep apnea is also positional. Sleeping on your back will increase the chance of an event. So if you have a night where you spend most of it on your side, there will be less events.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

Welcome to the board. Congrats on a good nights sleep at the sleep study. I hope they discovered some good data about your sleep condition. Be sure to ask ANY questions you may have, as the members here are more than willing to help out any way they can.

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi kevin7423, First, Welcome! to the forum. It will be interesting to hear the results of your study. Be sure to ask lots of questions, good luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for the replies! I should be hearing from them sometime in the next 5 days or so. :-)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 217 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 74 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 117 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 62 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.