Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] AHI
AHI
I read somewhere that the goal of CPAP therapy is to have an AHI of 5 or less. Using my ResScan software Statistics page, I am getting AHIs of 0 to 0.5 with 0 to .2 being the norm. Am I correct in assuming that my AHI readings are good?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI
(11-20-2013, 04:07 PM)mkhenry Wrote: Am I correct in assuming that my AHI readings are good?
Unplug the machine just to be sure the machine reading the data correctly. Whats leak and usage stats
Excellent numbers and how you feel is important too
Welcome

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-20-2013, 04:26 PM)zonk Wrote:
(11-20-2013, 04:07 PM)mkhenry Wrote: Am I correct in assuming that my AHI readings are good?
Unplug the machine just to be sure the machine reading the data correctly. Whats leak and usage stats
Excellent numbers and how you feel is important too
Welcome

New Resmed S9 14 days ago to replace a Resmed 9 I had for 3 years.
I was concerned about the leak data shown in the summary graphs and that is what led me to researching what was acceptable.
I appreciate your reply and am more than happy to supply the leak and usage data to see if all is okay.

Over the past 14 days, median daily usage is 7.49 and
average daily usage is 7.27.

Leaks over the same period was median: 13.2, 95th percentile: 25.8, maximum: 52.2

AHI average for the 14 day period is .2.

I was concerned about my therapy because since I retired I have grown a full breard. Looking at the graph summary data on leaks and not quite understanding what is acceptable made me do some Googling and saw the thing about striving for <5 on AHI. Plus I just changed from the ResMed Quattro to a ResMed Quattro Air full face mask and was curious if things were good with this mask.

Any insight into how my therapy is looking is much appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
The data above is with the new ResMed Quattro Air mask. I may need to go back to my regular Resmed Quattro mask based on the data below. At least the leaks look a lot better.

Usage
Median daily usage: 7.45
Average daily Usage: 8.15

Leaks
Median: 2.4
95th Percentile: 10.8

Maximum: 21.6

AHI
for this 2 week period: .1
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-20-2013, 04:56 PM)mkhenry Wrote: Leaks over the same period was median: 13.2, 95th percentile: 25.8, maximum: 52.2
Leaks at or below 24 L/m is acceptable leak, below the red line in ResScan leak graph
Prolong high leak affect the accuracy of data and disturb sleep
Have you tried nasal pillow masks? nasal pillows have a minimal contact and not affected by the beard

You might want post a separate thread , some forum members with beards (also use full face mask) can helps with tips and what masks works best with beards

Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Have you tried nasal pillow masks? nasal pillows have a minimal contact and not affected by the beard

I have tried the Swift nasal pillows and I can use them but I do NOT like the chin strap that I must wear with them.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-20-2013, 05:48 PM)mkhenry Wrote:
Quote:Have you tried nasal pillow masks? nasal pillows have a minimal contact and not affected by the beard

I have tried the Swift nasal pillows and I can use them but I do NOT like the chin strap that I must wear with them.
Okay understand. Hope people with beards using full mask respond here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...arded-guys

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi mkhenry,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-20-2013, 05:48 PM)mkhenry Wrote: I have tried the Swift nasal pillows and I can use them but I do NOT like the chin strap that I must wear with them.

There are a variety of different styles of chin straps, so maybe a different style would suit you better.

Or you could go back to the full face mask you used to use since it seems you had a much lower leak rate with that one.

There is also a hybrid mask. It has nasal pillows plus a part that fits over your mouth.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mkhenry, instead of a chin strap i use a soft foam ball that is actually a dog play toy. It is covered with a soft fabric and i place it between my chin and neck. My wife sewed a very thin like loop of elastic that i can put around my neck just to keep the ball from rolling off and getting lost.. I have also tried rolling a wash cloth up like an enchilada and wedging between chin and neck.

I used to use full-face but they drive me crazy. I also hated more straps on my face. By doing this i now am very comfortably using nasal pillows. I think most anything will work to keep the lower jaw from dropping open.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.