Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

COPD & Sleep Apnea - looking for info
Question 
COPD & Sleep Apnea - looking for info
I'd like to learn how COPD can effect a sleep apnea patient's experience with a CPAP.  I've come to understand there are 2 different types of COPD; so I'm more specifically wanting to learn more about the Restrictive kind.

Can a CPAP help a COPD patient with sleep apnea?  How do the settings need to be tweaked?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: COPD & Sleep Apnea - looking for info
The Resmed AirCurve 10ST is designed for COPD patients.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: COPD & Sleep Apnea - looking for info
The loss of elasticity and rebound in the lungs can result in changes in respiratory volume and flow rate that bilevel is particularly suited to address. Restrictive COPD seems to take many different forms, and when it affects expiratory function, as well as inspiratory volume, bilevel can help to improve inspiration with pressure support, and then provide the pressure relief for more complete expiration. The Resmed Vauto also allows adjustment to time of inspiration to enable more time to be preserved for expiration. CPAP by definition is a constant air pressure and does not provide tools to manage COPD, however the addition of EPR on Resmed and some other machines can make a difference. What CPAP cannot do is to allow manipulation of the trigger and cycle sensitivity, minimum and maximum times of inspiration to force cycling to preserve expiratory time and significant pressure support to improve tidal volume.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 14 337 04-13-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: chronic
  Medicare and Sleep Apnea Equipment chzuck 12 231 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 124 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Need help with RERAs in sleep apnea shedu1337 8 293 04-03-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: shedu1337
  Heart Failure with Sleep Apnea kwhenrykerr 2 205 04-02-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 384 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 512 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.