Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] New to CPAP and frustrated!
Sad 
New to CPAP and frustrated!
Hi. Tonight is my day 9 and I have yet to sleep more than 3 hours with the mask. By reading your postings I have learned to turn off the humidifier, because I felt like I was suffocating with all that hot air. That has helped. Instead of going to sleep I lay here and wait to get tired enough so I can maybe fall asleep with that mask on. I called the nurse assigned to me about the mask and I'm going to be getting a new mask because the one I have pinches my nostrils and I cannot stand the way that feels. A newer version of the Quattro FX I think. I downloaded the SleepyHead software today and printed out lots of colorful charts on many pages....thanks for the link. I will try to learn what it all means. I'm sorry about complaining. I used to feel like a member of The Walking Dead, but I don't even know what I feel like now. Ten times worse. I am trying to focus on all the encouraging messages I have been reading on this forum. Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to CPAP and frustrated!
Hi there, welcome to the forum
CPAP can be frustrating at the start but once you sort out the problems and find that mask going to work for you ... can be a rewarding experience. This might be of some help ... Tips for new CPAP users
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...CPAP_users
Post Reply Post Reply
dpp11, it's very hard at the start for some people but please try to continue on, it does get better, re the Sleepyhead software, there are youtbe video's or ask questions on here. The masks are the hardest part to get right, you may need to change it a few times till you get the one that suits you. Once you get the mask right, just try to relax and not think about it, you could try some sleep aids either over the counter or prescription for the first month or so until you get used to it. This is a long journey you are on so treat it as a marathon not a sprint, good luck, you will get there eventually.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-15-2013, 10:38 PM)dpp11 Wrote: Hi. Tonight is my day 9 and I have yet to sleep more than 3 hours with the mask. By reading your postings I have learned to turn off the humidifier, because I felt like I was suffocating with all that hot air. That has helped. Instead of going to sleep I lay here and wait to get tired enough so I can maybe fall asleep with that mask on. I called the nurse assigned to me about the mask and I'm going to be getting a new mask because the one I have pinches my nostrils and I cannot stand the way that feels. A newer version of the Quattro FX I think. I downloaded the SleepyHead software today and printed out lots of colorful charts on many pages....thanks for the link. I will try to learn what it all means. I'm sorry about complaining. I used to feel like a member of The Walking Dead, but I don't even know what I feel like now. Ten times worse. I am trying to focus on all the encouraging messages I have been reading on this forum. Thank you!

Just on the Sleepyhead software the two most important figures are your AHI and leaks, if you know what your AHI was at your first sleep study, you can see how well you are doing. You want your AHI to be as low as possible but anything below 5 is good and normal. You don't want too many leaks, on the graph you want them to be as small as possible and don't want them to be over 25, hope that helps a bit
On the Mask , you may need tto go up a size, are you using a small?
Post Reply Post Reply
24 L/min if using an S9 which report unintentional leak, If not mistaken .. PRS1 machine report total leak (intentional leak plus unintentional leak) and report leak differently on LCD ... % LL (large leak)
Using S9 comparison (24 L/min), might be something close to 45 L/min

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi dpp11,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I know CPAP therapy can be frustrating at first but just stick with it. The mask is the hardest part of all this, so don't be afraid to try as many masks as you need 'til you find the one that works just right, for you.
Best of luck and let us know how things go.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 825 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
Sad [Pressure] Still feeling frustrated/confused after years... Mossify 12 1,088 01-22-2024, 02:43 AM
Last Post: Mossify
  [Treatment] Very frustrated after radiofrequency tongue base reduction surgery phitom816 4 1,364 12-03-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Too Sleepy
  [CPAP] Lots of issues, getting very frustrated. Help? fuccrat 0 393 05-05-2023, 12:17 AM
Last Post: fuccrat
  UPPP Surgery worsening daytime breathing, very frustrated yanix 0 966 08-30-2022, 02:50 AM
Last Post: yanix
  Really Frustrated, Confused & Tired Cammy 1 646 10-01-2021, 12:07 PM
Last Post: SleepyCPAP
  Frustrated, Cannot get AHI Down After 2 Weeks asuter060514 29 2,492 06-22-2021, 05:17 PM
Last Post: asuter060514

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.