Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep apnea and Tongue Tie
Sleep apnea and Tongue Tie
My wife has a tongue tie and issues with mouth breathing while using cpap.  The tongue tie has been there since childhood and remains uncorrected.  I just realized that this could be affecting things.

Has anybody ever gotten a tongue tie snipped as an adult, and did it make your sleep apnea better or worse?  Did having the tongue tie affect your cpap use (e.g. mouth breathing) and did getting it snipped improve things?

Thanks for any input.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep apnea and Tongue Tie
I’ve heard that there are some essential exercises to do before getting a tongue tie release so that your tongue does the right thing with its newfound freedom. Otherwise it can flop around and cause more obstruction, or regrow the tie.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep apnea and Tongue Tie
Having tongue tie makes it difficult to keep your tongue at the roof of your mouth as your jaw relaxes during sleep. This is the reason it contributes to poor facial development, and sleep apnea. Someone with tongue tie will likely have to use a full face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 215 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 347 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 284 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 123 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 547 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.