Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep apnea and afib
RE: Sleep apnea and afib
I really didnt have a choice in this matter as all the ones that were comptible with OSCAR either was too bulky for my comfort and or broke shortly after receiving it. The insurance finally sent me a O@ring that appears to be working fine and My observation came from that ring
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-24-2020, 01:40 PM)Respir8 Wrote: I'm having my second cardioversion next week and hoping it will last this time.  They tell me that sleep apnea can be a cause of afib so I'm really hoping that treatment will help me stay in a normal rhythm.

How far apart was your cardio version and why did they decide on that course of action I just had one and Im back in even after taken amdiodarone and it lasted ten days total.
Post Reply Post Reply
The whole afib thing was a new diagnosis in October though I think I was having it off and on for a while. I was having a lot of shortness of breath, chest tightness, and light headedness before that so had been having lots of tests which showed not enough oxygen to parts of the heart. The angiogram showed that the large arteries are clear and now they are checking out small artery disease.

Anyway once the afib was diagnosed (really fast, irregular heart rhythm) my cardio decided to do a cardioversion which worked but didn't last very long. I was in and out of afib and then just stayed in afib. Dr. put me on percainide as well as diltiazem and scheduled second cardioversion so it would have been about 7 or 8 weeks after the first.

Meanwhile I was also diagnosed with sleep apnea and have been using my very own cpap machine for about 3 weeks. Still in afib but the day before the second cardioversion I went back into a normal rhythm. 7 days now so crossing my fingers.

The sleep clinic and heart clinic both think there may be a link between the afib and the sleep apnea. I just really don't know but maybe the combination is working. I sure hope so.

There are a couple of good articles referenced in this thread.
A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures for everything.
Irish Proverb
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-24-2020, 01:40 PM)Respir8 Wrote: I'm having my second cardioversion next week and hoping it will last this time.  They tell me that sleep apnea can be a cause of afib so I'm really hoping that treatment will help me stay in a normal rhythm.

Interesting, my fear of afib (when trying to sleep) was the reason for the sleep study in the first place.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I woke up this morning and I felt something different in a weird way and I did that kardia thing and found my self back in sinus rhythm again. How can that be?  Sarcastically  asking I also found that my Obstructive events went up to 6+  but I felt better than I did for the last ten days. Slept all night through as well
Post Reply Post Reply
After 7 days in a normal rhythm, I'm back in afib hoping It will stop again! It's pretty dramatic when it flips out suddenly. Fingers crossed for overnight with apap helping.
A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures for everything.
Irish Proverb
Post Reply Post Reply
I find this flipping back and forth to be depressing to say the least. One day I doing fine the next day Im sitting and huffing and puffing as if I cant get enough air. My body at the end of the day feels worn out. Seeing the cardiologist tomorroe
Post Reply Post Reply
Ditto .... 3 days forward and 2 back. What I find annoying is I can’t do what I used to or what I want to do. And if I try and land up overdoing it, it brings on an aFib attack. Starting to learn to sit down and watch a movie, read a book or snooze on those be days. Good luck with your journey.
Post Reply Post Reply
Went to the cardiologist yesterday and she told me that I no longer was in AFIB (Kardia told me that) and now Im in Bradycardia. She told me that it will go away with a medicine change  but it will take a while. MY 02 ring is buzzing all night long Oh well. close to 40 BPM thats not good AFIB masked that result with all the extra pulses of my heart
Post Reply Post Reply
I went to the hospital today after a bit of mild chest pain. Recently I've been suffering from shortness of breath on exertion which, if you know me, is a worry as I walk big distances every day in my job. I was sent to the hospital by the College nurse who has worked extensively in ICU. While manually taking my pulse she said that she could easily detect arrhythmia (I was short of breath at this stage) but after I recovered the arrhythmia went away. The phrase she used was Afib.

My question is, would OSCAR graphs show Afib possibilities in my breathing patterns?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medicare and Sleep Apnea Equipment chzuck 12 224 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 108 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Need help with RERAs in sleep apnea shedu1337 8 279 04-03-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: shedu1337
  Heart Failure with Sleep Apnea kwhenrykerr 2 193 04-02-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 377 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 499 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 746 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.