Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep apnea and genetics
RE: Sleep apnea and genetics
Here's the thing, if it's mild, you might not think you're symptomatic. I was tipped off when my brother got a sleep study done and he had it, then I got one done and I have a mild case. It really can't hurt to just do a study right? Especially if insurance will pay for it, perhaps if your doctor orders it.

Apparently sleep apnea has a LARGE genetic component. I believe having a first degree relative with OSA means a 50-75% increased risk in having it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you everyone for your replies and input!
I used a recording oximeter last night and it showed a hourly desat index of 13.6. If that is an accurate representation I guess that would put me in the mild category. 
I have a significant family history of heart disease, so if I can convince a doctor to order one I intend to get a sleep study. 
The Mallampati score is interesting to consider. It was a real uphill battle to get a doc to order a sleep study for my son and I remember my son's pulmonolgist commenting that any doctor who looked in my son's mouth should have immediately suspected sleep apnea because his Mallampati score is IV. I believe I am a IV as well, I'll be sure to bring that to my doctor's attention. Can anyone recommend a good snoring app that records audio? One of the things that finally convinced my son's doctor to order a sleep study was when I was able to play a recording that captured my son having apneas.
Post Reply Post Reply
This might help you to begin to learn what's out there:

https://www.sleepassociation.org/sleep-d...ring-apps/

No prior affiliation or personal contact with this site.  Just did a quick search...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medicare and Sleep Apnea Equipment chzuck 12 228 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 120 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Need help with RERAs in sleep apnea shedu1337 8 291 04-03-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: shedu1337
  Heart Failure with Sleep Apnea kwhenrykerr 2 201 04-02-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 383 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 508 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 769 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.