Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep apnea and oxycodone pain killer
RE: Sleep apnea and oxycodone pain killer
I didn't adjust my pressure last night, just to see what would happen, my AHI has now jumped from 13 to 22! I'm going to try increasing my pressure tonight and see if that will help compensate.

I'm getting anxious. I'm starting to feel like I did before my AHI was below 5 and it is just awful
Post Reply Post Reply
What is the makeup of the events Paralel? How many OA vs: CA vs: Hypops? That's important to know before you increase the pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Opiates only tend to increase centrals in me. Increasing pressure will not help with centrals. Also, look at the length of these events, I bet they are rather short in time?
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, must stress, it's really a bad idea to react on a day-by-day basis. Night before last my AHI was 34, yet last night it was 1.8 - good nights vs bad nights...a bad night + pain meds = bad numbers. In the scheme of your OSA, a night here or there is not the issue, it is night after night after night of lots of events.

Hang tough for a week or so, also, you body itself will adjust to you taking the pain meds if you are taking them on a regular basis. This alone will calm stuff down.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
While CA's have gone up a little, most of it is OA & Hypos. I decided to increase the upper range the machine has, I had it fairly narrow, but I don't think that is going to work any longer. Last night the machine hit my preset limit several times.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, but raise it just a little. Maybe 1/2 a point. I think Peter's probably right about things may well settle down on their own after a few days. In any case, we don't want to encourage the CA's by raising the pressure too much. A little should be fine though.
Post Reply Post Reply
It wouldn't be too surprising to find that opiates increase OA and hypopneas, as well as CA's, because your muscles may relax.

I'm more concerned about CA's because opiates can make your brain simply stop trying to breathe. It seems to me that these kinds of reactions would tend to show up as CA. This side effect may be more dangerous to CPAPers than people without because CPAP pressure tends to cause CA. Increased CA might be good warning sign.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Every individual is different.

I have complex apnea, and also use oxycodone for pain management. While the medicine does have the potential to cause severe breathing problems, I have not had difficulties. The minimum dosage necessary to control severe pain is always prudent.

I have had problems with Zanaflex and Duragesic. I would stay away from those medicines.

Cindy
Post Reply Post Reply
I made an appt. with my sleep doc. I figure they'll want to do a new sleep study to justify a new machine. With my APAP ramping up to max pressure (20) with the auto function, and no significant leaks, I can't get my score below 33, 1/2 is OA, 1/2 is CA while on the oxycodone. My score before the oxycodone was ~2.5. With that much CA I don't see how I can get away with anything less than a machine with ASV.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-26-2014, 08:36 PM)Paralel Wrote: I made an appt. with my sleep doc. I figure they'll want to do a new sleep study to justify a new machine. With my APAP ramping up to max pressure (20) with the auto function, and no significant leaks, I can't get my score below 33, 1/2 is OA, 1/2 is CA while on the oxycodone. My score before the oxycodone was ~2.5. With that much CA I don't see how I can get away with anything less than a machine with ASV.

Hi Paralel,

Be sure to take a normal full dose of the pain meds before/during the ASV titration, at time(s) you usually do.

In the USA, I think we ask our doctor for a prescription for an ASV titration and ask our doctor to obtain preauthorization from our insurance company, and after we select a sleep lab to do the ASV titration, we should make sure that the sleep lab has verified the insurance preauthorization for an ASV titration, and we should ask exactly what our portion of the bill will be (so we can compare prices and perhaps choose a more economical sleep lab).

When arriving for the titration it doesn't hurt to verify the sleep lab therapist who will be doing the titration understands that this will be an ASV titration.

Hopefully, these many precautions will prove to have been unnecessary.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 217 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 348 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 287 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 123 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 549 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.