Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep apnea can have consequences... Wow moment.
Sleep apnea can have consequences... Wow moment.
From today's news:
Copy into your browser and add the "http://www." stuff.

nbcnews.com/health/health-news/dazed-dangerous-train-engineers-sleep-disorder-common-n74256
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep apnea can have consequences... Wow moment.
You know, you can't really blame a person for something that happens because of their unknown medical condition. But if you know you have a medical condition, and don't do what's prescribed for you to address it, then I think there is some responsibility for your actions.

At my sleep clinic they tell me that 4 in 10 patients will stop using the cpap therapy. That's 40% and I'm a little surprised it's not higher. But that says there are people like me that had a hard time staying awake behind the wheel of a car that are still out there, driving around, even though their condition has been diagnosed and a remedy provided.

So should they be personally responsible in the unfortunate event of an accident?

Don't know. But I think it behooves every one of us to do all we can to insure we stay faithful to the path not just for ourselves, which by the way is a big thing, but for our loved ones and others that share our space.

That's why this forum is so blasted important. The good folk that hang here --- and if you're reading this, you're one of them, are helping themselves, the other visitors to this forum, and many others yet to come along.

That's a good thing.
Post Reply Post Reply
We have come a long way in recognizing sleep apnea, treating it; and enforcing compliance on people in safety jobs.
We have some commercial truck drivers on the forum who must present their compliance data.

Sleep apnea is not a new phenomena... think of all the years when there was no treatment nor recognition of the condition.
I suspect some members of my family died prematurely due to undiagnosed, untreated sleep apnea. Not necessarily from a specific apnea event; but, heart failure due to years of being overworked during sleep.

As for me. I do not drive commercially. Since driving is an option for me; I will not drive if I feel "off" on a particular day.
Having been a pilot, I take fitness for operation seriously.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Pasting the link in browser didn't work for me ... brought me back to this post. Anyone wanting to read it just paste "dazed-dangerous-train-engineers-sleep-disorder-common" into search window and it will take you to the link for the article.

Interesting article retired_guy. Not surprising he has OSA. Sadly too many are not aware of it or in denial. They don't realize what the untreated consequences can be. I often talk with family and friends I know who have symptoms that could be attributed to sleep apnea. I was just chatting with a friend this morning pointing out how many symptoms are actually a result of sleep apnea.

I have referred a number of individuals to this forum to learn.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2014, 12:02 PM)ImaSurvivor Wrote: Pasting the link in browser didn't work for me ... brought me back to this post. Anyone wanting to read it just paste "dazed-dangerous-train-engineers-sleep-disorder-common" into search window and it will take you to the link for the article.

Interesting article retired_guy. Not surprising he has OSA. Sadly too many are not aware of it or in denial. They don't realize what the untreated consequences can be. I often talk with family and friends I know who have symptoms that could attributed to sleep apnea. I was just chatting with a friend this morning pointing out how many symptoms are actually a result of sleep apnea.

I have referred a number of individuals to this forum to learn.

In the UK people diagnosed with sleep apnea lose their car license until the doctor certifies that they are compliant with cpap therapy. If they stop using the cpap the license is taken away again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wish they'd do that here...
Post Reply Post Reply
I heard not long ago that airline pilots would have to be checked for sleep apnea. If I recall correctly, it was aimed at pilots with excessive weight.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2014, 12:38 PM)ImaSurvivor Wrote: I heard not long ago that airline pilots would have to be checked for sleep apnea. If I recall correctly, it was aimed at pilots with excessive weight.

I don't know how many of you have taken the aeromedical physical exam for even a recreational pilot. I can assure you it is quite rigorous.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Sadly, part of the problem is that doctors need to be educated regarding sleep apnea. I believe that a lot of doctors are not very knowledgeable concerning sleep apnea. My own PCP at the time missed what I now believe was sleep apnea for a number of years before that. He got on the bandwagon in a hurry when my cardiologist required a sleep test and it came back positive for sleep apnea. In fact, I think that I may have suffered from sleep apnea on and off for over 30 years before I was finally diagnosed with it.

Best regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 114 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 13 279 03-12-2024, 06:44 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 5 194 03-12-2024, 03:56 PM
Last Post: RoughriderTR
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 6 453 03-10-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,828 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep physicians that value OSCAR and the Apnea Board community FrankFuss 26 3,260 02-28-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 186 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.