Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep apnea predict heart risks
Sleep apnea predict heart risks
From HUFFPOST Healthy Living
What Is It About Sleep Apnea That Seems To Predict Heart Risks?

It's well-established that obstructive sleep apnea is linked with increased heart risks. But now, a new study teases apart what exactly it is about the sleep disorder, characterized by pauses in breathing during sleep leading to disrupted sleep, that seems to predict these cardiovascular events.

Obstructive sleep apnea is measured by the number of times a person stops breathing during sleep (the apnea-hypopnea index, or AHI). However, researchers found that there were a number of other elements of sleep apnea that seemed to be predictive of cardiovascular events. The biggest one: the amount of time spent sleeping when the oxygen saturation was below 90 percent.

Other elements associated with a cardiovascular event included heart rate, daytime sleepiness, number of awakenings during the night, sleep time and leg movements, the researchers found. While the apnea-hypopnea index was associated with cardiovascular events when it was looked at by itself, it was no longer considered a significant predictor once all the other elements were factored in.

The study, published in the journal PLOS Medicine, is based on 10,149 people with obstructive sleep apnea who underwent diagnostic polysomnography between 1994 and 2010; 1,172 of those people developed cardiovascular disease.

"We believe a revision of the operative definition of OSA [obstructive sleep apnea] may be necessary, to reflect not simply the frequency of apneas and hypopneas, but the actual physiologic consequences that result -- the severity of oxygen desaturation, sleep fragmentation, sleep deprivation and sympathetic activation," the University of Toronto and St. Michael's Hospital researchers said in the study. "It is these 'downstream' phenomena that we have found to be more predictive of CV [cardiovascular] risk."
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep apnea predict heart risks
Interesting.

There is a lot of deaths resulting from heart attacks on one side of my family. As in people dying well before 60. My Grandpa that I look as well as am built exactly like died when he was 57. He had a lot of other ailments also. Liver problems and lung cancer. He never smoked or drank either. Just listening to relatives tell me about his sleep habits and such leads me to believe he had severe OSA. His brothers died at 43 and 46 of heart attacks. One of them was smoker though.

My other Grandpa could have had it as well. I remember as kids my sister and I watching him take naps during the day. He snored really bad and had those episodes where he would stop breathing (now that I know what they are). He was plagued with stomach issues, but lived to be in his early 80's. All of his siblings lived to their 80's and 90's as well.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 226 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 349 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 609 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 287 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 124 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 551 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.