Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal congestion & dry mouth
Nasal congestion & dry mouth
I am presently using a  AirFit™ P10 Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with an AirSense 10 CPAP device with integrated humidifier. Each morning, I wake up with a very dry mouth along with plugged sinuses. The dry mouth usually dissipates within 5-10 minutes but the plugged sinuses usually last for a good part of the day. Does anyone have any recommendations to alleviate these issues such as a full face mask or a chin strap?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal congestion & dry mouth
I don't have any good mask recommendations. However, I have used some Biotene gel in the inside of my mouth to help alleviate some of the mouth dryness.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is your water lasting all night. If I sleep with a dry humidifier running I have the same symptoms.

If you are mouth breathing a chin strap may be what you need. I use a Ruby chin strap with my P10 to help me keep my mouth closed. I was still having lip leaks that would sometimes wake me. I have started using a 2.5" wide stretchy lady's head band in addition to the chin strap. I wear it so it covers my lips and goes around my neck just under my ears. My leaks are way down from what they were.

As was mentioned above, Biotene gel will help alleviate the dry mouth until you can find a solution.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
These are potential symptoms of Mouth Breathing.  

Post some Sleepyhead charts including your leak chart so we can see if you are mouth breathing.
Tape your lips for a night, if the tape is sealed in the morning you are not Mouth Breathing.

Assuming  Mouth Breathing
Mouth Breathing is when you open your mouth and the air pressure from your PAP is venting out your mouth typically showing on your charts as a large leak which can substantially negate the effectiveness of your therapy.  It is generally not good. The solution varies depending on the person
How to manage Mouth Breathing, not in any particular order.
Chin Strap.  A chin strap is to manage mouth leaks from a variety of causes.  Most result from the jaw dropping or opening either partially or wider. The chin strap is to gently keep the jaw closed.  If you have to crank it shut to make it work this is not the correct solution.  Note that your jaw is strong enough to open if it wants to.
Cervical collar.  A Cervical Collar may also be used to keep the jaw from dropping.
Mouth Guard.   The concept here is a closed mouth guard to keep the air from leaking out.
Taping.  The purpose of taping is to seal the lips and prevent mouth leaks / mouth breathing.  It is not to stop the mouth from opening.  I make sure that I can easily open my mouth, when taped, if I need to. 
FFM – Full Face Mask or Hybrid Mask.  This is a very traditional solution and it is generally effective.  
Post Reply Post Reply
You could always try turning up the humidity settings, although I think Bonjour is correct. I get the same thing when my jaw drops open. Sounds like mouth breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also use the P10 nasal pillows and will do anything to keep using them. I have a problem of exhaling through my mouth so first added a ResMed Premium chin strap which I like. That helped but still had some lip pouting that allowed for leaks. I then added 2" medical paper tape over my lips which has almost completely eliminated the leaks. I was still getting an occasional dry mouth so have been using a product called XyliMelts on most night. It's a little tablet that adheres to the outside of your back teeth and gums. It then keeps the mouth moist for roughly 4 hours. It sounds like a lot of work to continue using nasal pillows rather than just going to a FFM but pulled out an old Mirage Quattro I have and it lasted about 2 minutes.

Another thing I've been trying to practice is a technique call the tongue suck which seals off your airway to prevent mouth breathing. You can search the board and will find a better explanation than I could give.

Good luck and hang in there!
Post Reply Post Reply
djfro,
To help alleviate congestion, you can try using a nasal rinse.  (The kind with a squeeze bottle.). I use a product with xylitol in it.

Also, an excellent nasal spray called Xlear works well for nasal congestion.  These can be found at Amazon.

If you are mouth breathing, and experiencing dry mouth, try the "tongue seal technique."
This times time and commitment, but works for alot of folk.

Place your tongue to the roof of your mouth with the tip of tongue behind front teeth.  Then suck up gently.  Notice the placement of your tongue.  The tongue creates a seal at the back of your throat so that no air will escape. .

Like I said, this takes practice, but is worth mastering.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 31 6 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 372 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  nasal congestion relief sleepingbetterinFl 2 158 03-23-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 315 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 321 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,077 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.