Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep apnea test
Sleep apnea test
I have a sleep apnea test scheduled next month at the hospital. I had a test conducted 2 years ago but results were negative. However, I am pretty sure I have it. Im a violent snorer and am always waking up gasping for air. My question is whats the best way to go into the test. Is it recommended to get a good workout in during the day so I am more tired and in a deep sleep. Do I do my normal routine. My last test I didn't sleep much and never went into a deep sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep apnea test
Following a normal routine is probably best, although there is nothing normal about a PSG test at a clinic. Start adjusting your schedule to go to sleep a bit earlier than normal. If you know these studies make it difficult to sleep, ask your doctor for a mild prescription sleep-aid. It shouldn't change the results, and may help you to fall asleep.

Another alternative would be to inquire about a home study. They are not as complete, but definitely more comfortable and much less expensive.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum pauly151!

I was told before my sleep study in the lab not to have any alcohol that day, and not to have anything with caffeine after 4pm. Also told not to nap that day, or put on any body lotions after 6pm.

Those times above of things not to do were for an arrival at the sleep lab for 8:15pm.

Hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi pauly151,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you at your sleep study.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Snoring is detrimental to your health and put strain on the heart

I think best to do what you normally do, so the results would be as normal as can be. Here are some suggestions:
Preparing for an Overnight Sleep Study http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...leep-Study

Sleep Study Key Terms http://www.ucmc150.uchicago.edu/sleep/terms.html
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-15-2015, 12:43 PM)pauly151 Wrote: I have a sleep apnea test scheduled next month at the hospital. I had a test conducted 2 years ago but results were negative. However, I am pretty sure I have it. Im a violent snorer and am always waking up gasping for air. My question is whats the best way to go into the test. Is it recommended to get a good workout in during the day so I am more tired and in a deep sleep. Do I do my normal routine. My last test I didn't sleep much and never went into a deep sleep.

This was my experience also, almost didn't think I had actually slept at all.
I would not do anything out of the ordinary, if you have sleep apnea it should show up without doing anything special to try and "prove it" to the doctors.
Good luck on your test.
Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-15-2015, 03:30 PM)cate1898 Wrote: Welcome to the forum pauly151!

I was told before my sleep study in the lab not to have any alcohol that day, and not to have anything with caffeine after 4pm. Also told not to nap that day, or put on any body lotions after 6pm.

Those times above of things not to do were for an arrival at the sleep lab for 8:15pm.

Hope this helps.

These were the same things I was told. I also got up a little earlier the day of my test knowing that night I would probably have a little more difficulty going to sleep hooked up to wires and knowing someone was watching me sleep. Good luck.

Post Reply Post Reply
My initial study was kind of rough. While reading the pamphlet I received before my sleep study it said that I would have some time to read or watch TV and I could go to sleep when I was ready. Nope! He hooked me up, shut the lights off and said "Good
Night!" I was no where near ready to go to sleep. I live in the central time zone and the sleep lab was in the eastern time zone. So him walking out of the room at a reasonable bedtime of 10:30PM was only 9:20PM to my body. I felt like I laid there forever awake.

He told me it would not be the best night of sleep ever, but as long as they get some data, it'll be fine. I tossed and turned and woke a lot, and when I woke, it took forever to fall back asleep. He woke me about 5:30AM. He told me they got enough data to go off of.

I had to go back on Sept 9th for the CPAP trial. They prescribed me one Ambien for the test. It took me a long time to fall asleep, but once I was asleep, I was out till he woke me about 6:00AM.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Test results Kmzizzle 18 1,541 04-12-2024, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Medicare and Sleep Apnea Equipment chzuck 12 231 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 125 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Need help with RERAs in sleep apnea shedu1337 8 294 04-03-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: shedu1337
  Heart Failure with Sleep Apnea kwhenrykerr 2 205 04-02-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  Using CPAP machine to perform Sleep test ivan007 3 154 04-02-2024, 03:28 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 4 260 03-28-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.