Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep apnea therapy in less developed countries
Sleep apnea therapy in less developed countries
Yesterday I went to my dentist in Tijuana to get a couple crowns replaced. I had extra time between dentist visits that I used trying to buy masks and other things, hopefully cheaper than in the US. I had already done as much research as I could before leaving, and while there had the use of local phone books and telephones to find more resources.

Fisher and Paykel built a large facility to manufacture respiratory equipment a little over a year ago. I really wanted to visit the factory, especially as I am very interested in their new Pilairo, which is not yet available in the US. A call to their factory revealed that they do not allow customers on the premises, whether end users or DMEs. They do sell to US DME customers, but all those sales are handled by their Irvine, CA office, which is where the output from the factory is shipped.

As for DMEs, there are none in Tijuana, or apparently anywhere in Mexico. The system is very different from the US. There are sleep doctors who perform sleep studies, but after diagnosis the doctor sells the equipment directly. Thus there is no need for the DME at all.

Sleep apnea is not covered by the the basic national health plan, although it may be covered by some state health plans (but not Baja California Norte). There is a second layer of national health that provides additional benefits to employed people, but apparently it does not cover sleep apnea either. Private health insurance doesn't really exist. Consider as well that MN$40 an hour is a really good wage (about US$3). That's not much if you have to pay for your sleep apnea therapy out of pocket.

As a result, in all of Tijuana (pop. 1.3 million) I was able to find only two sleep doctors, who operate a sleep clinic together. I went to the clinic hoping to find some masks to buy, but they sold only three masks; one a nasal pillow mask, another that was a regular nasal mask, and one full-face mask, at a price of about $70 each. Those are your choices if you have sleep apnea in Tijuana, unless you buy online or go up to San Diego. And online or San Diego suppliers will require a prescription from a US doctor. Also, I showed the people at the clinic my box of Provent tabs and they had never seen them. They also sell CPAP machines, but the prices were roughly the same as our online suppliers. During my visit I talked to the staff, not the actual doctors.

So I came back without any new sleep apnea stuff. All I brought back was a sadness for the state of sleep apnea therapy in Mexico. Now I'm curious about how it works in other underdeveloped places.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep apnea therapy in less developed countries
It doesn't. When the citizens are more concerned about food and clean water, plugging in a CPAP is way low on the priority list. And the over-worked and underpaid doctors who work with the poor, sleep apnea is way way down the priority list again.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-07-2012, 12:12 PM)JJJ Wrote: They also sell CPAP machines, but the prices were roughly the same as our online suppliers.
Even in Tijuana the prices less than half of the prices charged in Australia

Post Reply Post Reply
JJJ,

You are a brave man going to TJ!

When I was in college at UCSD we went down there all the time to party but when the TJ police chiefs started getting knocked off about 10 years ago it was no longer safe to go there. We just bought our fish tacos in pacific beach instead!
"Goodnight Chesty wherever you are!"
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-07-2012, 10:29 PM)pssnn Wrote: You are a brave man going to TJ!
When I was in college at UCSD we went down there all the time to party but when the TJ police chiefs started getting knocked off about 10 years ago it was no longer safe to go there. We just bought our fish tacos in pacific beach instead!

It's fine during the day. And the violence is 99% drug related. I was off the street when it got dark and I didn't go there to party.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jakespeare65 - Therapy Help jakespeare65 28 840 4 hours ago
Last Post: jakespeare65
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,084 03-27-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 177 03-27-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 247 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 256 03-27-2024, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,269 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,364 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.