Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep apnea travel dilemma. Can you help?
Sleep apnea travel dilemma. Can you help?
I have sleep apnea, use largish machine, tubing, humidifier, the works. I hold my breath when I sleep. If I go without the machine even one night I don't sleep well and I'm a mess the next day.

My son is supposed to go on a school trip to Costa Rica, paid off, no refunds. Because he has anxiety, the school has last minute decided they want me to go & they have a fund to help get me there. My son is an experienced traveler, I don't think he needs me, but the school is nervous.

The sleeping arrangements are rustic in the beginning but even toward the end (7 nights) it is all of us in one big room. I simply cannot bring my CPAP machine.

I looked into the travel machines but they are so expensive and I'm not sure how noisy they may end up being, not to mention the extra bulk in my backpack.

What I'm mostly wondering is whether there is some mouth device that I can easily order on-line that will suffice?

Anyone have suggestions for my scenerio?

I'm feeling pretty worried about this. Last two summers I went camping with people, a bunch in the same cabin, didn't bring the C-pap and didn't sleep 5 minutes. i was so exhausted I couldn't function. On the trip to Costa Rica there is lots of hiking and I am worried for my health.

Thanks!

P.S. Having sleep apnea SUCKS
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep apnea travel dilemma. Can you help?
I am not sure what to suggest to you. I would NOT leave the machine behind because more than just not sleeping can happen, things you don't want to happen in another country. Better to take your machine than to wake up pushing up flowers.

Sorry I don't know how to help you but sure others will have some ideas. The only thing I can think of (which probably won't work if the accommodations are rustic) is to sleep in a recliner. If you don't take your machine, you will miss out on seeing Costa Rica and won't be of benefit to your son that the school is worried about.

It would also be very helpful if you complete your profile with specifics about which machine you are using, mask, etc. because that helps us to give you better suggestions.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Nonsleeper,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I don't think there is a really good substitute for your CPAP machine.
Hang in there for suggestions and much success to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Your best option, IMHO, is to get a used Respironics and use it without the humidifier. They are quiet and lightweight. Someone here can walk you through adjusting the settings so that it matches your settings on your machine. I'm a newbie, so really can't give you more advice than that. The problem I see is the battery you need to power it in a remote location.

It's my understanding that the mouth devices are custom fit and would cost you quite a bit more than a second machine and a battery to operate it.
Post Reply Post Reply
you say you "hold your breath when you sleep" does that mean you have central apnea and not obstructive? Is your machine a cpap? or something fancier like an ASV?
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Since the school wants you to go with them and they have a fund to send you, can't you explain your situation, and maybe ask for a separate sleeping arrangement for you and your son?

Going without your CPAP isn't a good idea. If you go, you may need a battery to power your CPAP?

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hit Craigslist or Supplier #2 on our suppliers list (link at top of every page). Get a used Phillips-Respironics machine as close to yours as possible. You want the number to be X50 or X60 which is found on the bottom of the machine itself. Then hit several of the online places (Supplier #2 has it) and find the battery set up. The PR CPAPs don't need anything special, just a cord. And you are done. Yeah, the machine will make noise but it will be simple white noise. And that noise will be NOTHING compared to your snoring.

All this is based on you having obstructive sleep apnea. If you have central sleep apnea, which is where you don't snore but just stop breathing, then it is even more important you take your machine. And it will have to be your machine, not a used one. A used one may be too expensive although Supplier #2 may have one if you call and ask. As long as you have a place to recharge that battery after use, it should be okay.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, everyone. I need one that works off battery. The first locale on our trip is a scientist outpost in a location so remote we take a boat and then hike several miles. After that the accommodations get easier but we all know any night without a cpap is no good.

Thanks for pointing me in a few directions. I will look into them.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2015, 12:35 PM)DariaVader Wrote: you say you "hold your breath when you sleep" does that mean you have central apnea and not obstructive? Is your machine a cpap? or something fancier like an ASV?

I have sleep apnea with hiypopneas. There is no obstructive or central apnea.

Honestly, I think I just need something to blow air into my nose and mouth. I wear a night guard on my teeth for grinding, so maybe even moreso into my nose.

A travel cpap with a battery would do the trick, I'm pretty sure.

I HATE having this.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 215 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 347 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,671 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 284 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 123 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.