Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Room for improvement?
Room for improvement?
Hey all, first time poster, so I hope I've remembered the forum rules.  I got diagnosed back in June, picked up a used S9 in July, and finally got my first DME provided machine, an S11 AutoSet about a month ago.  First of all, I am feeling a *lot* better!

But as I'd imagine a fair few people here have experienced, most of the coaching I've gotten about this condition has centered around compliance with insurance and the DME, with very little about actually improving my quality of life.  I was wondering if anyone here could give me a sanity-check?  I've attached the OSCAR screenshot below, and also can provide a sleepHQ share link if it would help to look more closely at the data.

They have me set at 5-15cm.  I'm using a heated tube, and humidity set at 5, because any higher causes fluid buildup in the tube.  I wouldn't mind more humidity, but this seems to be the highest I can go without problems.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Room for improvement?
You can always raise the humidity and get a tube hanger. That will take care of the hose rainout. Worked for me. Lots to choose from online.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Hampster, your pressure is all over the place, and it's because your machine is detecting flow limits. Let me know if you need more details, but flow limitation is basically the result of inspiratory flow obstruction that is not quite obstructive apnea or hypopnea, but it frankly sucks for sleep integrity because it leads to persistent arousals. Let's do this...minimum pressure 8.0, Maximum pressure 12.0 and EPR full-time setting 3. Try it and you will wonder why therapy suddenly works so well and is more comfortable. You may even drop the "rabid" from your user name.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh man, thank you so much for taking a look and giving advice!  This is literally more personalized advice than I've been given by my doctors, DME, and insurance combined.
I've already punched the settings in, and will let you know how it went!
Post Reply Post Reply
Looking forward to hearing about your results with the revised settings.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry for the late reply!  The results are a bit mixed, as you can see from the graph.  Interesting to me is that I woke up at one point with no preceding apneas, which is new!  Still slightly elevated AHI, but still just glad to be trying something new.

Post Reply Post Reply
Apnea are clustered which strongly suggests positional apnea, or chin-tucking. This is very common and can often be addressed by using fewer pillows or adjusting sleep to avoid chin-tucking. Here are a couple wikis that talk about it and show examples of how this problem can be addressed.
Positional Apnea http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea
Soft Cervical Collar. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar

You are not using EPR! Please revise settings to turn EPR on, full-time at 3.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Oh man, thanks for taking another look!  And yes, I did recently change my pillow situation to be a bit higher, and I *think* I woke up today with my chin tucked in, so I'll lower the position again, and see if that works.

And oh my god, I totally missed the EPR setting.  I'll give it a go, and report back!

Thank you again for your time and help.
Post Reply Post Reply
So I've been experimenting a bit.  Not sure I have the head positioning/pillow down, but I *have* seen a marked improvement in AHIs, and have even been able to get out of bed almost an hour earlier than usual this whole week!  So DEFINITELY heading in the right direction!

I've got a few more days worth of graphs. Still seeing flow restrictions.  Still head tucking, you think?

Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like really good improvements. You may want to try increasing minimum pressure to 9.0 to see if it can stabilize your pressure and apnea. That will start therapy at 9.0/6.0 pressure which is certainly reasonable.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Judging CPAP improvement jprconsulting 1 79 03-24-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 290 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Grin New CPAP User, looking for improvement help babysleep 8 469 01-24-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  eXciteOSA See Any Improvement? (with images) bergerj 6 1,675 01-21-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: jrolli1509
  some improvement but still having symptoms her.suit 1 244 01-04-2024, 12:15 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  First OSCAR data - lots of leaks and hardly any improvement :-( p123 8 686 10-10-2023, 03:48 AM
Last Post: p123
  Started CPAP three weeks ago and there is NO improvement in my sleep or how I feel drago7579 43 4,310 09-10-2023, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.