Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep doc's views of APAP machines
RE: Sleep doc's views of APAP machines
(10-18-2012, 03:38 PM)Kadenz Wrote: Sleepyhead software shows that the pressure on my APAP goes up and down like Alpine peaks throughout the night, which I interpret as meaning that a fixed pressure would be too high at some points and too low at others for what I need.

That said, I do wake up once or twice a night, generally at one of the peaks in pressure., so there does seem to be a trade-off at work, at least in my case.

You could try lowering the upper range of your pressure a bit and see what it does to your AHI.

What's your pressure range now? I see you don't list it in your profile.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-18-2012, 09:35 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(10-18-2012, 03:38 PM)Kadenz Wrote: Sleepyhead software shows that the pressure on my APAP goes up and down like Alpine peaks throughout the night, which I interpret as meaning that a fixed pressure would be too high at some points and too low at others for what I need.

That said, I do wake up once or twice a night, generally at one of the peaks in pressure., so there does seem to be a trade-off at work, at least in my case.

You could try lowering the upper range of your pressure a bit and see what it does to your AHI.

What's your pressure range now? I see you don't list it in your profile.

It's normally from about 7 to 12 but once or twice a week goes as high as 16 (on a couple of occasions over the past few months it's got as high as 20).

What range should I aim for with these stats?

Post Reply Post Reply
What he meant by range is what is the machine set to, not what it gets to.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-19-2012, 01:42 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: What he meant by range is what is the machine set to, not what it gets to.

Sorry, I'm not very knowledgable about all this. The machine is set from 4 to 20.

Post Reply Post Reply
When set to that range, we call that 'wide open'. Some argue it is not a good thing to have it that way, others say it doesn't matter.

This may be why your data says it goes up and down in such peaks and drops.

You may want to narrow that range a bit. You say it goes as low as 7 and as high as 16. You may want to then set that as the range, give it two weeks, and look at the data again. You'll probably be able to drop that higher number down some more.

All of these words, phrases, and alphabet soup can get to be confusing! You'll figure out the lingo soon enough.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

There's nothing wrong with being at high pressure all the time unless you have gas, central apneas, can't sleep due to the pressure, or leaks. It's a question of what works for you.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-19-2012, 02:48 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: When set to that range, we call that 'wide open'. Some argue it is not a good thing to have it that way, others say it doesn't matter.

This may be why your data says it goes up and down in such peaks and drops.

You may want to narrow that range a bit. You say it goes as low as 7 and as high as 16. You may want to then set that as the range, give it two weeks, and look at the data again. You'll probably be able to drop that higher number down some more.

All of these words, phrases, and alphabet soup can get to be confusing! You'll figure out the lingo soon enough.

Many thanks for the very helpful suggestion and the understanding.
(10-20-2012, 05:22 AM)archangle Wrote:

There's nothing wrong with being at high pressure all the time unless you have gas, central apneas, can't sleep due to the pressure, or leaks. It's a question of what works for you.

I didn't realise that. Grateful for the reassuring info.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2012, 06:53 AM)Kadenz Wrote: I didn't realise that. Grateful for the reassuring info.

I thought you were concerned that something is waking you up during the night. It could be the high pressure.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2012, 09:55 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(10-20-2012, 06:53 AM)Kadenz Wrote: I didn't realise that. Grateful for the reassuring info.

I thought you were concerned that something is waking you up during the night. It could be the high pressure.

Yes, that is what I'm concerned about. I will try lowering the max pressure and see if that makes any difference (both to the waking up and my ahi).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Headache, Brain Fog, Dizziness, Nausea after APAP Use geosyncline 24 3,226 04-10-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: jiyun
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 153 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] Sefam S Box APAP mode sudden failure Helentw 3 124 04-07-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Helentw
  APAP to VAuto not going well snapperzz 6 226 04-05-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 17 927 04-02-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  New APAP user looking for guidance on interpreting OSCAR Data MildOSAHighRera 8 645 03-30-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: MildOSAHighRera
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 134 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.