Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Clear Airway Apneas
Clear Airway Apneas
Hi there,

I've just started using the OSCAR sw and completed my 1st import. I seem to have quite a high rate of Clear Airway apneas and was wondering whether this is quite normal for CPAP users, or whether I should look into this more.

My Clear Airway score is almost always higher than my Obstructive or Unclassified scores and last night was 5.22 compared to an Obstructive score of 1.86.

When I first put my mask on I usually concentrate on my breathing for the first minute or so to make sure the fit is good and the machine is working OK, but when I let my mind wander off I quite often just stop breathing and gasp for air, and have to pant to get my breath back. This can happen quite a few times before I nod off, but it looks like it's happening while I'm asleep as well.

Any advice would be great.
Phil
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Clear Airway Apneas
It seems you are new to OSCAR but not to PAP therapy. We don't know anything from your description about your machine, settings or timing of the events. AHI at this level can be the result of a variety of things, and may be something we can help. Please post a copy of the daily details chart and we can quickly interpret the results for you. Instructions for Organizing your OSCAR chart and attaching to a forum post are in my signature links.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Sleeprider

I tried, believe me I tried...

After about an hour of following your instructions to prepare and post images, I was greeted with this...

Please correct the following errors before continuing:

• I'm sorry, brand new members are not allowed to post images until they have 4 posts.
I will write a couple of other posts about some other issues (without images of course).

Disgruntled Phil

P.S. what do others do in this situation - put up 3 random meaningless posts? Doesn't seem to be a policy designed to encourage rich content.

Weird - are my images there anyway? My head is about to explode.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
My machine has a test option and shows on the screen whether or not if you are sealed.

Your machine is fixed and ramp up would be nice to possibly compensate possible leaks. I didn't see your leak rate cart. As Sleep rider mentioned, organize your charts and we'll be able to see what's going on with you better.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah Pictures...

OK I would try reducing the EPR to two as you have a bit of periodic breathing adding to your CA score it will likely reduce over time as your a new user
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Optimalsleep,

It's not a leak problem - I have very few leaks if any (and they are on the charts).

It's just me stopping breathing for some unknown reason.

(06-15-2020, 03:12 AM)jaswilliams Wrote: Yeah Pictures...

OK I would try reducing the EPR to two as you have a bit of periodic breathing adding to your CA score it will likely reduce over time as your a new user

Hey, yep I'm not actually new to CPAP (about 15-20 years) just new to OSCAR and this forum. I will look into the EPR options (don't really know that much about it). Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
At least in this image, we see CA events are highly clustered and that after the first pause in breathing that is not even flagged, you get into a kind of feedback loop of CA followed by recovery breathing (larger flow and volume than normal), and the cycle repeats, and slowly decreases becoming variable or periodic breathing before normal respiration is seen at the end.  It's a very interesting sequence, that we have seen before. We think what happens is that following the first pause, you take a large recovery breath which may lower  your serum CO2 (HCO3) casing minor hypocapnea which reduces respiratory drive. We can see flow diminishes then suddenly increases as HCO3 increases and spikes your respiratory drive resulting in more recovery breathing that terminates in a full CA event.  This is a feedback loop that begins with a minor non-event but then amplifies through the sequence. At the end of the cluster your respiration rate increases to more breaths per minute of smaller flow and goes through several oscillations before normalizing. 

This pattern can be exacerbated by pressure support or EPR which tends to increase ventilation to where the apneic threshold is reached.  Reducing EPR or pressure support may help to make this feedback loop less likely to occur or eliminate it altogether.  You are using fixed pressure of 13.4 with EPR at 3 which is a bilevel pressure of 13.4/10.4.  There is nothing wrong with your respiration or neurology, this is just a high sensitivity to increases or decreases of CO2 which directly impacts your respiratory drive (apneic threshold).  I think if you reduce EPR you can also lower the pressure by the same amount (12.4 with EPR 2).  These events may appear disturbing to see until you understand them and realize they are not particularly harmful to your health or sleep.  You may choose to ignore this unless it is a common occurrence or happens fairly often or for longer periods of time.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=23820]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2020, 08:26 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: At least in this image, we see CA events are highly clustered and that after the first pause in breathing that is not even flagged, you get into a kind of feedback loop of CA followed by recovery breathing (larger flow and volume than normal), and the cycle repeats, and slowly decreases becoming variable or periodic breathing before normal respiration is seen at the end.  It's a very interesting sequence, that we have seen before. We think what happens is that following the first pause, you take a large recovery breath which may lower  your serum CO2 (HCO3) casing minor hypocapnea which reduces respiratory drive. We can see flow diminishes then suddenly increases as HCO3 increases and spikes your respiratory drive resulting in more recovery breathing that terminates in a full CA event.  This is a feedback loop that begins with a minor non-event but then amplifies through the sequence. At the end of the cluster your respiration rate increases to more breaths per minute of smaller flow and goes through several oscillations before normalizing. 

This pattern can be exacerbated by pressure support or EPR which tends to increase ventilation to where the apneic threshold is reached.  Reducing EPR or pressure support may help to make this feedback loop less likely to occur or eliminate it altogether.  You are using fixed pressure of 13.4 with EPR at 3 which is a bilevel pressure of 13.4/10/4.  There is nothing wrong with your respiration or neurology, this is just a high sensitivity to increases or decreases of CO2 which directly impacts your respiratory drive (apneic threshold).  I think if you reduce EPR you can also lower the pressure by the same amount (12.4 with EPR 2).  These events may appear disturbing to see until you understand them and realize they are not particularly harmful to your health or sleep.  You may choose to ignore this unless it is a common occurrence or happens fairly often or for longer periods of time.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=23820]

Wow what a great answer - thank you. I understand what the theory is and I've just changed my pressure and EPR to 12.4 and 2 - see how I go over the next few nights.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 601 7 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,405 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 864 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 7 307 03-19-2024, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  First Day with S9 AutoSet - Many Clear Airway in the morning liuzilong 6 123 03-18-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: liuzilong
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 119 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  Clear airway Bullabill 3 237 03-12-2024, 02:40 AM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.