Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep lab called to to schedule a titration...
Sleep lab called to to schedule a titration...
My wife agreed to a sleep study after her dentist suggested it. Her family doc wrote the script but doubted she had OSA. My wife's BMI is 22, she's not tired, and generally sleeps quietly and soundly. So, we were both suprised when the lab called to schedule her second study. My only real indicator that she could have a problem is her sleeping position which seems protective of her airway. If she has OSA I'm guessing it my be more positional. Anyway, we will soon find out more by requesting a copy of her study. At this point my wife isn't very happy about all this... His and her CPAP units are not usually on someone's wish list. Anyway, because of all the help I've received here and my own success, I can at least guide her through this if she ends up with a machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep lab called to to schedule a titration...
Most sleep doctors advise the sleep lab technician to start the patient in the supine position. They want to get the worse case data. If your wife normally sleeps on her side, she may not have enough apnea to justify treatment.

I'm wondering why the dentist made this sleep lab request and further wondering why she submitted to it. Unless your wife complained to the dentist about having trouble sleeping, this isn't passing the smell test.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-25-2015, 09:48 PM)Dagmar Wrote: My wife agreed to a sleep study after her dentist suggested it. Her family doc wrote the script but doubted she had OSA. My wife's BMI is 22, she's not tired, and generally sleeps quietly and soundly. So, we were both suprised when the lab called to schedule her second study. My only real indicator that she could have a problem is her sleeping position which seems protective of her airway. If she has OSA I'm guessing it my be more positional. Anyway, we will soon find out more by requesting a copy of her study. At this point my wife isn't very happy about all this... His and her CPAP units are not usually on someone's wish list. Anyway, because of all the help I've received here and my own success, I can at least guide her through this if she ends up with a machine.

Exactly as you have stated above. Find out what type and how bad.

Second sleep study is generally a titration study...
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-25-2015, 09:48 PM)Dagmar Wrote: Anyway, we will soon find out more by requesting a copy of her study.

You have a right to the "full sleep study report including data" for your personal records, not just a one-page summary.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good point, it probably would be good to see the full report and perhaps there will be no reason to treat if she sleeps in her normal position. The dentist suspected acid reflux which is apparently associated with OSA. CPAP apparently helps reduce acid reflux but I don't understand the connection...
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dagmar,
Good luck to your wife at her titration.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-26-2015, 09:19 AM)Dagmar Wrote: Good point, it probably would be good to see the full report and perhaps there will be no reason to treat if she sleeps in her normal position.

The doctor who prescribed the sleep study should have the results. There's no sense in scheduling a second sleep study for a titration if the first study came back negative. You should be made aware of the diagnosis before the second sleep study is scheduled.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Even more of a newbie than you, and not as svelte as your wife since my BMI is 24 still I've been and remain active in endurance events around 200 marathons, triathlons, etc. for over 10 years. Next marathon is in 2 weeks.

Unexpectedly my regular dentist this year strongly recommended a study which culminated in me having a machine, by now maybe 20 days or so.

But interesting to note that during the initial visit to a well-recommended Dr. I almost walked out mid-eval since I was told straight out that I don't look / fit the kind of people with Apnea. I took a deep breath and ended up with a full sleep study.

Anyway using a machine now and the results are spectacular in terms of mental clarity, life-changer level thing.

Sorry for the rant, point was dentist referral, possible non-obvious candidate. Still worth checking.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for sharing DanPrado! Glad to hear CPAP is a success for you. I'll share your story with my wife.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 76 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 145 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Help with settings after BiPAP Titration jd1291 5 164 03-11-2024, 12:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Just bought a second hand bilevel, hoping for some help with titration? JohnnyLarueBathrobe 8 281 03-01-2024, 02:31 PM
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Pressure] BiPAP Titration Help - I:E Ratio becomes 1:5 havishem 1 223 02-17-2024, 09:46 AM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.