Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: AIrfit P10
Humidifier: A10 Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10-14
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

RE: Sleep medication reduction
(07-13-2015 01:54 PM)novatom Wrote:  I was one of those optimistic insomniacs who hoped that using CPAP would solve my insomnia problems, but unfortunately it didn't. I did notice some change in my sleeping patterns early on but eventually my insomnia returned. That said, I am sticking with the CPAP because I was able to get used to it fairly quickly and feel that the benefits still outweigh the negatives. My experiences of the past 6 months have led me to believe--at least in my case--there is no relationship between my moderate SA and insomnia. For others it may be different, but for me, I don't think there's any connection.

I used to be on Ambien but switched to Temazapam (30 mg) a couple years ago and it works much better for me. I use it sparingly, on average 1-2 times a week. I also have a short term sleeping pill (10 mg Sonata) that I take if I'm awake at 2 in the morning and can't sleep. A month ago I was having a particularly bad spell of insomnia and found myself using it 4-5 times a week but things have improved since then. Without it, I average 4-5 hours of sleep per night. With the Temazapam, I can get in 6-7 hours.

CPAP has not affected how often I use them though.

Thanks for the response. This is where my curiosity lies. I have used Zopiclone and Trazadone for a LONG time, and when I first heard a month ago I have moderate OSA, I was like...OK! Maybe I can come off these meds if I start sleeping better! But then I was thinking...are they even related?
I wake up feeling so drugged and tired every day, headaches...that I don't know what a good sleep is like anymore and that is WITH sleep aids.

I start my trial month on the machine tomorrow night, so will be interesting to see how I manage. My GP did mention that if my sleep improves there could be a possibility of titrating down off the sleep meds.

Thanks again for your input!Thanks
07-13-2015 04:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
quiescence at last Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: REMstar System One with Autoflex
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Quattro AirFit F10
Humidifier: yes typical setting = 4
CPAP Pressure: 5-13 Autotritrating CPAP
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: CMS-50F Plus oximeter /w SPO2 Assistant software. Avowed mouth-breather switching to nose-breathing

Sex: Male

RE: Sleep medication reduction
thanks novatom for sharing your experiences. it is great to have veterans pop in with the real goods - real good stories about the way it is and was. that is what I really like about the forum.

QAL

Dedicated to QALity sleep.
You'll note I am listed as an Advisory Member. I am honored to be listed as such. See the fine print - Advisory Members as a group provide advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies. Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
07-13-2015 10:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  comfort v. apnea reduction cdm807 4 275 10-18-2016 04:07 PM
Last Post: BadGoodDeb
  UARS - ENT Recommended Septoplasty/Turbinate Reduction....experience? LB1982 11 458 09-30-2016 09:09 AM
Last Post: richb
  No reduction in heart attacks for cpap users Crist 23 1,511 08-29-2016 07:04 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Medication/s for OSA jedirye 6 391 07-23-2016 09:15 PM
Last Post: Jim Bronson
  What do you do for noise reduction from your CPAP? Ockrocket 14 1,272 07-11-2016 01:27 PM
Last Post: chill
  Pain medication limitations after surgery? pumpkln 12 1,166 05-20-2016 02:25 AM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  UPPP, Septoplasty & Turbinate Reduction meguys123 11 2,894 04-03-2016 05:51 PM
Last Post: REMologue