Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep medication reduction
Question 
Sleep medication reduction
I'm new to this, and get my trial machine on Tuesday. What I am curious about is, has anyone been diagnosed with sleep apnea, got started on treatment and then over time been able to reduce or come off of their sleep medications altogether?

Thanks for any input!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep medication reduction
a lot of insomniacs find they are having a hard time increasing their sleep when they start the CPAP regimen. some find relief, but most struggle or give up therapy (not because it was ineffective, but because many of the most irritating symptoms are still present). I'll add that the symptoms highly likely are not related to sleep disorder breathing. for those that stick with it, they usually stay on meds (or come back to them).

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks QAL.....yeah I wondered if the two were even related? I have used sleeping medication for 15 yrs and still sleep crappy. Now that I have been diagnosed with OSA, I just wondered if with good tx I may have that option to opt out of sleeping meds down the road. I sure hope I don't have lots of troubles getting adjusted right away, tho I do realize its no walk in the park to start out.

Appreciate your input!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Kakkles,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and good luck to you as you start your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-12-2015, 06:22 PM)quiescence at last Wrote: a lot of insomniacs find they are having a hard time increasing their sleep when they start the CPAP regimen. some find relief, but most struggle or give up therapy (not because it was ineffective, but because many of the most irritating symptoms are still present). I'll add that the symptoms highly likely are not related to sleep disorder breathing. for those that stick with it, they usually stay on meds (or come back to them).

QAL

Hi,

Just curious what symptoms of insomnia are you speaking of?
Post Reply Post Reply
I tapered completely off Ambien using a 16 week schedule posted by DocWils. I took the last dose a couple of months ago. I was on it for more than 5 years before the OSA diagnosis.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-12-2015, 07:28 PM)Kakkles Wrote: Thanks QAL.....yeah I wondered if the two were even related? I have used sleeping medication for 15 yrs and still sleep crappy. Now that I have been diagnosed with OSA, I just wondered if with good tx I may have that option to opt out of sleeping meds down the road. I sure hope I don't have lots of troubles getting adjusted right away, tho I do realize its no walk in the park to start out.

Hi Kakkles -- I think it's reasonable to expect that as sleep improves with CPAP, the need for a sleep medication may diminish or disappear, but the best bet is to go slow and don't start reducing the medication until sleep has pretty well stabilized on CPAP. I think a mistake some people make is to jump off their sleep medication too early when they start CPAP, and they end up dealing with the CPAP adjustment at the same time as a change in medication. For already-sensitive sleepers that can prove to be too much. Better to take it one change at a time.Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-12-2015, 08:50 PM)kaiasgram Wrote:
(07-12-2015, 07:28 PM)Kakkles Wrote: Thanks QAL.....yeah I wondered if the two were even related? I have used sleeping medication for 15 yrs and still sleep crappy. Now that I have been diagnosed with OSA, I just wondered if with good tx I may have that option to opt out of sleeping meds down the road. I sure hope I don't have lots of troubles getting adjusted right away, tho I do realize its no walk in the park to start out.

Hi Kakkles -- I think it's reasonable to expect that as sleep improves with CPAP, the need for a sleep medication may diminish or disappear, but the best bet is to go slow and don't start reducing the medication until sleep has pretty well stabilized on CPAP. I think a mistake some people make is to jump off their sleep medication too early when they start CPAP, and they end up dealing with the CPAP adjustment at the same time as a change in medication. For already-sensitive sleepers that can prove to be too much. Better to take it one change at a time.Smile

Great response!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone! I agree, about going slow. I wouldn't reduce my meds unless under a Drs regime...My sleep is precious to me and long term use of sleeping aids requires the decreasing to be monitored. I tried a few yrs back to reduce one and I was in agony, so the dependancy is definitely there.

I look forward to getting much better sleep. I start tx in 2 days so I am anxious and aware it won't be an easy transition but that the end results are worth it. (I hope at least!)

Thanks for the welcomes and input....Appreciate it...
Post Reply Post Reply
I was one of those optimistic insomniacs who hoped that using CPAP would solve my insomnia problems, but unfortunately it didn't. I did notice some change in my sleeping patterns early on but eventually my insomnia returned. That said, I am sticking with the CPAP because I was able to get used to it fairly quickly and feel that the benefits still outweigh the negatives. My experiences of the past 6 months have led me to believe--at least in my case--there is no relationship between my moderate SA and insomnia. For others it may be different, but for me, I don't think there's any connection.

I used to be on Ambien but switched to Temazapam (30 mg) a couple years ago and it works much better for me. I use it sparingly, on average 1-2 times a week. I also have a short term sleeping pill (10 mg Sonata) that I take if I'm awake at 2 in the morning and can't sleep. A month ago I was having a particularly bad spell of insomnia and found myself using it 4-5 times a week but things have improved since then. Without it, I average 4-5 hours of sleep per night. With the Temazapam, I can get in 6-7 hours.

CPAP has not affected how often I use them though.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  anyone with positive apnea reduction using emf shielding over bed? Pierelly 7 244 03-21-2024, 07:50 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Seeing large number of clear airway events after starting new medication PapaColin 5 323 01-20-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Treatment] Very frustrated after radiofrequency tongue base reduction surgery phitom816 4 1,361 12-03-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Too Sleepy
  Did you felt better after an septoplasty and turbinate reduction? MikeR20 5 661 11-24-2023, 04:49 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  [Health] FYI Medication study for OSA Gideon 0 258 11-17-2023, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.