Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep medication reduction
RE: Sleep medication reduction
(07-13-2015, 01:54 PM)novatom Wrote: I was one of those optimistic insomniacs who hoped that using CPAP would solve my insomnia problems, but unfortunately it didn't. I did notice some change in my sleeping patterns early on but eventually my insomnia returned. That said, I am sticking with the CPAP because I was able to get used to it fairly quickly and feel that the benefits still outweigh the negatives. My experiences of the past 6 months have led me to believe--at least in my case--there is no relationship between my moderate SA and insomnia. For others it may be different, but for me, I don't think there's any connection.

I used to be on Ambien but switched to Temazapam (30 mg) a couple years ago and it works much better for me. I use it sparingly, on average 1-2 times a week. I also have a short term sleeping pill (10 mg Sonata) that I take if I'm awake at 2 in the morning and can't sleep. A month ago I was having a particularly bad spell of insomnia and found myself using it 4-5 times a week but things have improved since then. Without it, I average 4-5 hours of sleep per night. With the Temazapam, I can get in 6-7 hours.

CPAP has not affected how often I use them though.

Thanks for the response. This is where my curiosity lies. I have used Zopiclone and Trazadone for a LONG time, and when I first heard a month ago I have moderate OSA, I was like...OK! Maybe I can come off these meds if I start sleeping better! But then I was thinking...are they even related?
I wake up feeling so drugged and tired every day, headaches...that I don't know what a good sleep is like anymore and that is WITH sleep aids.

I start my trial month on the machine tomorrow night, so will be interesting to see how I manage. My GP did mention that if my sleep improves there could be a possibility of titrating down off the sleep meds.

Thanks again for your input!Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep medication reduction
thanks novatom for sharing your experiences. it is great to have veterans pop in with the real goods - real good stories about the way it is and was. that is what I really like about the forum.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  anyone with positive apnea reduction using emf shielding over bed? Pierelly 7 247 03-21-2024, 07:50 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 208 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Seeing large number of clear airway events after starting new medication PapaColin 5 326 01-20-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Treatment] Very frustrated after radiofrequency tongue base reduction surgery phitom816 4 1,364 12-03-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Too Sleepy
  Did you felt better after an septoplasty and turbinate reduction? MikeR20 5 663 11-24-2023, 04:49 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  [Health] FYI Medication study for OSA Gideon 0 260 11-17-2023, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.