Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep positioning device
Sleep positioning device
Can anyone recommend a sleep positioning device?

I have been advised to try this but on googling it I have just turned up loads of side sleeping type aids.

Maybe they are hard to get in the UK and the algorithms consequently aren't showing them in my search results but if anyone has a link to somewhere where I can purchase one Id be grateful.
Respironics Dreamstation Auto CPAP ay 8 cm. fixed pressure.

Resmed AirFit F230 mask. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep positioning device
What kind of position do you want to be sleeping in?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thats' what I am trying o determine. It has been suggested that I have positional apnoea, and that I use this device to ascertain the best position. I would assume that is on my side but as I say I am trying to work out the best position.

Resmed AirFit F230 mask. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Chalkie,
Just skimming your previous thread, and it was recommended several times by a couple different members to try a soft cervical collar to help with your positional apnea (chin tucking). I don't know of any "device" sold that would help with that.

Of course, there are many items sold to help keep you on your side, like body pillows and such. But I would think if you are chin tucking, you need something under the chin area to prop your chin up.

Also, keep in mind that your pillow plays a role too. Using more than one pillow, or a tall pillow can cause your head neck to tilt forward into your chest. One thinner supportive pillow is better.

What we here label positional apnea is simply chin tucking and can happen regardless if you sleep on your side or back. That's why the collar was recommended.

Tell us how you prefer to sleep... side or back? The collar would support either position.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
On the topic of chintucking, I think I now know what it actually is.

When I was going for a walk, I sometimes look at my phone, and the phone maybe placed lower level than my face angled to upward toward my face. Due to this reason, I angle my face downward to see the phone screen.

When I do this, instead of getting continuous stream of air, I get minor burst of air like there is a kink in the airway. I'm essentially chin-tucking when I angle my head downward.

I hope this helps with a visualization of what is happening. With these events going on, I realized what is actually happening, and it confirms that it is actually happening if my angle my head down while sleeping.

There's two ways to describe 'positional apnea.' In this forum, we refer to chintucking as 'positional apnea.'

Sleep doctor or on a sleep test result, 'positional apnea' describes apnea as result of body position while sleeping.

If somebody told you get a soft cervical collar here in the forum, that would mean the first 'positional apnea' I described above. I hope this clear things up.
Post Reply Post Reply
OpalRose, thanks for your reply. 

I am in fact using an SSC...have been for a while in fact Smile

Resmed AirFit F230 mask. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-26-2022, 09:13 AM)CorruptAlligator Wrote: On the topic of chintucking, I think I now know what it actually is.  

When I was going for a walk, I sometimes look at my phone, and the phone maybe placed lower level than my face angled to upward toward my face.  Due to this reason, I angle my face downward to see the phone screen.  

When I do this, instead of getting continuous stream of air, I get minor burst of air like there is a kink in the airway.  I'm essentially chin-tucking when I angle my head downward.  

I hope this helps with a visualization of what is happening.  With these events going on, I realized what is actually happening, and it confirms that it is actually happening if my angle my head down while sleeping.

There's two ways to describe 'positional apnea.'  In this forum, we refer to chintucking as 'positional apnea.'

Sleep doctor or on a sleep test result, 'positional apnea' describes apnea as result of body position while sleeping.  

If somebody told you get a soft cervical collar here in the forum, that would mean the first 'positional apnea' I described above. I hope this clear things up.

Yes indeed 'Gator. Thanks!

Resmed AirFit F230 mask. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  ResMed 10 Card-to-Cloud: no cellular device NelsonM 20 3,036 03-14-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 205 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Tongue retaining device with cpap question blancobonzo 1 974 02-21-2024, 07:20 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Replacement Device and Leaks jtardo 3 364 01-15-2024, 11:04 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  New Device Looking for Insite. Jesmitty88 3 404 12-09-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Question [Equipment] BEFORE YOU TRUST ANY COMMERCIAL NON-FDA DEVICE srlevine1 0 326 12-06-2023, 02:04 AM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.