Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep study
RE: Sleep study
Here is some stuff from the clinic from Downunder

PREPARING FOR YOUR SLEEP STUDY:
• Please wash your hair prior to the study so that it is free of styling products etc.
• Please bring your sleeping attire, toiletries (including shampoo), reading material and favourite pillow if required.
• Medications should be taken as normal – unless advised otherwise by your doctor.

WHAT TO BRING WITH YOU:
• Your completed Admission Health Assessment Form (included with this information sheet).
• Please have your evening meal before attending. A microwave is available onsite if you prefer to bring dinner with you.
• You are welcome to bring an alcoholic beverage with you if this is part of your regular nightly routine.
• Please bring sleeping attire, toiletries (including shampoo), reading material and favourite pillow if required.
• Please ensure you bring all medications required as no medications are available from the clinic. Please also supply a list of current medications taken.

SUPPLIED FOR YOU:
• All rooms are single accommodation, with ensuite facilities, split system air conditioners and televisions.
• Biscuits and tea/coffee making facilities are available.
• Advise staff if you require extra soap, shampoo, pillows, towels, blankets etc.
• A loan hair dryer is also available upon request.
• Bed extensions are available if you require a longer bed – please ask staff.
• A light breakfast will be provided prior to discharge (Toast/Cereal, Tea/Coffee/Juice).
DISCHARGE:
• You will be free to leave the centre between 6.30 & 7.30am the following morning. If you need to leave earlier please notify staff upon arrival.

ABOUT YOUR SLEEP STUDY:
• In order to conduct a sleep study, preparation involves the attachment of sensors to the head and body to allow measurement of brain wave activity, stages of sleep, breathing rates, oxygen levels, abnormal leg movements and the presence of snoring. This equipment is attached by tape and paste, which is easily removed in the morning by the technologist in attendance.
• During the night, the signals from the sensors are collected via the bedside computer unit and transmitted into the technologist's room.
• You will be relatively free to move around the bed and can get up to go to the bathroom at any time. A call button is at your bedside and technologists are in attendance in the centre at all times to assist you.
• Your sleep study report is analysed by a sleep technologist and a sleep physician.

FOLLOWING YOUR SLEEP STUDY:
• A formal report is sent to your referring doctor / sleep physician approximately 3 weeks after your study.
• Please make an appointment with your doctor 3 weeks after your study date to discuss your results and any further treatment required.

SLEEP STUDY FEES
There are 2 separate charges involved in your sleep study – Procedure fee and Accommodation fee.
In order to simplify the billing process, we will claim directly from your Health Fund & Medicare on your behalf - you will be asked to sign claim forms on the night of the study to enable this.

The Procedure fee (Item 12203)
This is partly covered by Medicare and your Health Fund.
This payment will be forwarded directly to our office.

The Accommodation fee (Item A12203)
Your health fund will pay their contribution directly to our office.
If you have an excess/co-payment arrangement with your health fund, this is the amount you are required to contribute towards the accommodation fee. This amount is payable upon admission.

PATIENT COST (Total payable upon admission): $ _491.00___ (Fund excess / co-payment)

Post Reply Post Reply
I had visions of people watching me sleep through a window. It's not like that.
Don't make the mistake I made by drinking a bunch of alcohol. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to sleep at all.
So I drank 8 shots 0f tequila before mine.
I was asleep in 5 minutes, and was able to do a split study that night. The bad part is it resulted in them prescribing a higher pressure than I really need on a normal basis. My Rx was for 16, but couldn't handle that, I turned mine down and found 13 gave me a tolerable pressure and the lowest apneas per night. It's all trial and error.
Good luck and don't let it stress you out like it did me.
At least you have the foresight to come on to a board like this and ask questions up front.
You are already ahead of the game.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-07-2016, 04:33 PM)wishicansleep Wrote: Here is some stuff from the clinic from Downunder

PREPARING FOR YOUR SLEEP STUDY:
• Please wash your hair prior to the study so that it is free of styling products etc.
• Please bring your sleeping attire, toiletries (including shampoo), reading material and favourite pillow if required.
• Medications should be taken as normal – unless advised otherwise by your doctor.

WHAT TO BRING WITH YOU:
• Your completed Admission Health Assessment Form (included with this information sheet).
• Please have your evening meal before attending. A microwave is available onsite if you prefer to bring dinner with you.
• You are welcome to bring an alcoholic beverage with you if this is part of your regular nightly routine.
• Please bring sleeping attire, toiletries (including shampoo), reading material and favourite pillow if required.
• Please ensure you bring all medications required as no medications are available from the clinic. Please also supply a list of current medications taken.

SUPPLIED FOR YOU:
• All rooms are single accommodation, with ensuite facilities, split system air conditioners and televisions.
• Biscuits and tea/coffee making facilities are available.
• Advise staff if you require extra soap, shampoo, pillows, towels, blankets etc.
• A loan hair dryer is also available upon request.
• Bed extensions are available if you require a longer bed – please ask staff.
• A light breakfast will be provided prior to discharge (Toast/Cereal, Tea/Coffee/Juice).
DISCHARGE:
• You will be free to leave the centre between 6.30 & 7.30am the following morning. If you need to leave earlier please notify staff upon arrival.

ABOUT YOUR SLEEP STUDY:
• In order to conduct a sleep study, preparation involves the attachment of sensors to the head and body to allow measurement of brain wave activity, stages of sleep, breathing rates, oxygen levels, abnormal leg movements and the presence of snoring. This equipment is attached by tape and paste, which is easily removed in the morning by the technologist in attendance.
• During the night, the signals from the sensors are collected via the bedside computer unit and transmitted into the technologist's room.
• You will be relatively free to move around the bed and can get up to go to the bathroom at any time. A call button is at your bedside and technologists are in attendance in the centre at all times to assist you.
• Your sleep study report is analysed by a sleep technologist and a sleep physician.

FOLLOWING YOUR SLEEP STUDY:
• A formal report is sent to your referring doctor / sleep physician approximately 3 weeks after your study.
• Please make an appointment with your doctor 3 weeks after your study date to discuss your results and any further treatment required.

SLEEP STUDY FEES
There are 2 separate charges involved in your sleep study – Procedure fee and Accommodation fee.
In order to simplify the billing process, we will claim directly from your Health Fund & Medicare on your behalf - you will be asked to sign claim forms on the night of the study to enable this.

The Procedure fee (Item 12203)
This is partly covered by Medicare and your Health Fund.
This payment will be forwarded directly to our office.

The Accommodation fee (Item A12203)
Your health fund will pay their contribution directly to our office.
If you have an excess/co-payment arrangement with your health fund, this is the amount you are required to contribute towards the accommodation fee. This amount is payable upon admission.

PATIENT COST (Total payable upon admission): $ _491.00___ (Fund excess / co-payment)

That's my idea of a sleep study!
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow, no wonder you down under folk are so happy! Big Grin

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My experience was much the same as Wishicansleep's. My insurance / Medicare covered everything so there was no out of pocket. When I woke in the morning they told me I had "very severe" apnea. AHI > 60 so I was provided a machine (S9 Autoset) immediately, with a follow up in a week's time.

Really, a very good service.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Inky1,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you good luck at your sleep study.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you everyone for all your posts.

I found out later today that I may actually have to do a Home Sleep Test (HST) instead. My insurance won't pay for PSG until my deductible is met. Not sure what to do next, waiting on doctors office to call back. Hopefully I can take the HST instead.

Any words of advice on HST now? I am skeptical that the results won't come back as good as the PSG test would have.
Post Reply Post Reply
Although the PSG runs many channels of data, all you really need is to establish whether you have apnea, how severe, and whether it's central, obstructive or mixed. I think a professional home test would meet those requirements. It also has the advantage of sleeping in your own bed and not disrupting your routine too much, so you should sleep better than in a sleep lab.
Post Reply Post Reply
Inky1, I mentioned a home sleep study in my first response. These are valid tests that use sensors to detect breathing, snoring, airflow, and blood oxygen levels, and will accurately detect the presence of apnea and hypopnea, and record the length and types of events. These tests are much less expensive and that's good for you.

If you are diagnosed as having sleep apnea, the next step will likely be to prescribe an Auto CPAP rather than a titration test. Again, best possible solution for saving significant money. Many of us have self-titrated and gotten great results.

As I asked earlier, what is your deductible and copay? It may be more economical to not use insurance network providers if you have high deductibles and co-insurance.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider, my deductible is $2000, I'm not sure what my co-pay amount is.

I'm supposed to go see a sleep doctor for a consultation on the Jan. 20th and then see about getting a HST. I'm skeptical of the HST because I suspect that I only have a mild case of OSA. But then of course who knows for sure, since my wife hit me in the ribs last night since I was snoring. Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My sleep study (starting out) sabletaurus 2 73 9 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  First night with new Bipap after sleep study and 37 AHI mostly CA PandaZA 87 1,335 04-13-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: PandaZA
  [Diagnosis] Second opinion on study is needed please Abdulfakih 17 353 04-04-2024, 08:42 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Do I not need a CPAP anymore? In-Lab Study Results brehski 6 204 04-03-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Home Sleep Study - Low AHI but significant desat ArcherNeedsSleep 68 6,248 04-02-2024, 04:13 PM
Last Post: ArcherNeedsSleep
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 377 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 146 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.