Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep study and new machine how often??
Cool 
Sleep study and new machine how often??
I originally had my sleep study and received my CPAP machine in 2006 and have used it ever since. Now am waking with stomach pain and have some headaches and fatigue during the day that may or may not be related to my settings/machine etc....

My question is how often do you have new sleep studies done and how often do you replace your machine. Mine is the original one so it is about 7+ years old. Also I had it titrated in November the woman left it without any setting so I had to adjust it myself and may have not put the correct pressure on. Truth be told my engineer husband did it for me!

Thanks, Nanook.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep study and new machine how often??
You're probably well due for a revisit to your friendly sleep docs. Machines are supposed to last for at least 5 years these days, and yours has. It may or may not be giving you the treatment you need, and a sleep study of course will determine that.

As to the pressure you're getting now, it could be too high as easily as being too low. The stomach pain sort of indicates the too high thing.

But you need to be seen. So start there.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your reply, I suppose I'm just avoiding it due to the fact they are such a pain! Thanks Nanook
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Nanook518,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, am scheduled for the dreaded sleep study again but hopefully this time it will be much easier, Nanook!
Post Reply Post Reply
This time you know what to expect so it should be easier for you. One thing: When they get ready to prescribe a new machine for you ask, cajole, threaten, plead until you get an autoset machine such as the Resmed S9 Autoset. That way 7 years from now when you wonder what your settings and results are they'll be right there for you.

Post Reply Post Reply
Insurance companies and Medicare allow replacement machines after 5 years of use.
Post Reply Post Reply
As for frequency of the sleep studies, I've had two (well, actually three). The first one was late in 1994 when they decided I had sleep apnea; the second was early in 1995 after having the polyps in my nasal passages surgically removed. The second one also served as the titration. Then in 2010 I had a follow-up study done when I changed sleep docs and the sleep center could locate a copy of my original studies. In 2013 I had to have the polyps removed again - it's hard to breathe through the nose when passageways are even partially blocked!
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 215 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 72 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 117 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 62 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.