Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep study last night
RE: Sleep study last night
Thank you all for the advice. I am going in for the titration on Friday. The sleep center will be the ones writing my script for the machine, so I will make sure I have them write for an auto cpap. My husband wears a cpap and recently got a new one so I was going to use it a few nights to see how I did but I've enedednip with bronchitis and the air flow made me have coughing fits. The machine he had is an auto so I may even be able to use it until they deliver my new one. His new one is a Phillips dream station. He seems to like it. Do any of you have experience with this particular one? Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply
The Philips Respironics Dreamstaton Auto is a very good machine, and competes head to head with the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. Both machines provide Auto CPAP therapy and full data, and are capable of treating obstructive sleep apnea equally. The main difference in the two machines are, the Resmed offers both a regular and soft auto CPAP response algorithm. The Resmed auto has historically been much faster to respond to apnea cues and can increase pressure from a lower minimum setting, and reach a therapeutic pressure that will prevent OSA more effectively than a Philips from the same low pressure. A Philips Auto CPAP needs to be optimized at a higher minimum pressure, and if that is done, it works very good. Philips Auto CPAP will also fluctuate pressure throughout the night by 1.5 cm increments every 20 minutes over a period of 2-minutes to evaluate if a higher pressure is more effective.

In comfort features, Resmed offers EPR which is a full 3-cmH2O pressure relief during exhale. Philips uses C-Flex and A-Flex to provide up to 2-cm of pressure relief during the transition from exhale to inhale and inhale to exhale.

Having used both machines, I have a strong preference for Resmed from a comfort standpoint. Your results may vary, and many people prefer the Philips machine. Either will do a good job, I just feel Resmed has continued to develop and refine its features to a greater extent than Philips. Philips is marketed to doctors, clinics and suppliers, while the Resmed is far more end-user oriented.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have and use both machines. I use the Dream Station most. It is a little less work to use it when the power goes out. It will work on 12 volts with little effort.

I would consider having the same machine as your spouse. It might be a little less trouble to learn one set of controls.

They are both great machines.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
I would report what happened to you during your sleep study to her supervisor. That behavior is not appropriate during a sleep study. I am glad that you got results back and that you are able to start sleeping better again with the recommended equipment.
Post Reply Post Reply
The sleep lab must have poor policies to allow you to be hooked up so late. You might also need to work on your sleep hygiene if you are using your phone and watching TV at bedtime.

While it was poor on the labs part, they will not be paying for your study since you received the required results of a positive diagnosis.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi everyone. 
Thanks for all of your advice. I actually just got my cpap titration results today from my primary care doctor. My husband recently got a new machine so I have been using his older auto cpap machine. I have started to feel better. My morning headaches were gone almost immediately and my blood pressure was normal on the second morning after sleeping with the cpap. I still have a lot of daytime sleepiness. Still to the point that I need to sleep in my car on my lunch break. Someone had mentioned earlier that I should think about my sleep hygiene. I wanted to point out that I dont play on my phone or watch tv in bed. I was just wanting to try anything to help me sleep during my initial sleep study. I feel like i am on the right track now at least.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2017, 09:01 PM)Momajo79 Wrote: Hi everyone. 
Thanks for all of your advice. I actually just got my cpap titration results today from my primary care doctor. My husband recently got a new machine so I have been using his older auto cpap machine. I have started to feel better. My morning headaches were gone almost immediately and my blood pressure was normal on the second morning after sleeping with the cpap. I still have a lot of daytime sleepiness. Still to the point that I need to sleep in my car on my lunch break. Someone had mentioned earlier that I should think about my sleep hygiene. I wanted to point out that I dont play on my phone or watch tv in bed. I was just wanting to try anything to help me sleep during my initial sleep study. I feel like i am on the right track now at least.
Good cause TV and phones aren't the best before bed.

You have rem related osa so that's the cause of your morning headaches and blood pressure spikes. Typically we have are last and longest rem period right before we wake up for the morning.

Keep up the use in a few weeks your daytime sleepiness should gradually decrease.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions on sleep study nikkib9899 0 45 11 hours ago
Last Post: nikkib9899
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 0 50 03-17-2024, 07:09 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 113 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Home Sleep Study - Low AHI but significant desat ArcherNeedsSleep 57 5,614 03-07-2024, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Diagnosis] Sleep Study and no solution? CChelios445 3 223 03-03-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 181 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  AHI Discrepancy w/ AirSense 10 AS and WatchPat Sleep Study TheProphetofLies 6 326 02-26-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.