Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep study required length?
Angry 
Sleep study required length?
Hello. This post is a bit of a rant, but I do have questions. Bit of background, I have had a System One for almost 6 yrs. I want to get a new machine. I moved and got a new doctor who will not renew my subscription without a sleep study. I have terrible snoring. I will wake up multiple times with swollen throat, unable to swallow, takes a day to go away. It is the worst. I'm down south and went without power for 2 nights during the recent freeze shenanigan's . It was the first time in years that I had been completely without my CPAP and I learned just how much I rely on it to feel good. 

Anyways, I have to complete this 2 night study and I couldn't cut it but more than 3.5 hrs on night one. I might try it again tonight. I have 2 questions. 
1. how long is long enough for whoever uses this data to determine whatever they need to determine? 
2. Is this new sleep study really required or is it the runaround from the health care system. Putting a patient through this seems unintelligent. 

Thanks for reading.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep study required length?
Welcome to Apnea Board!
If you had a prior sleep study, your new doctor should accept that. But if you didn't and you are dealing with a new doctor, then I can see why he/she may want a sleep study done.

It sounds like you are attempting a home study. Is that correct? I know that an overnight study in a sleep center would need a minimum of 2 hours of "actual sleep" to be accepted.

And yes, the health care system does like to give us a run around. If you are going through insurance, then it's something you have to deal with. The alternative is to self fund and buy your own machine, which many here have done.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome,

I could be incorrect, but I think a minimum of 4 sleeping hours are needed. To avoid this exact scenario, you should request sleep study reports for your health file. You want both detailed diagnostic and titration if they both exist. US HIPAA law permits you the ability to request and receive these from the ordering physician. As whether the study is required, I think it may be needed if you cannot produce the report from a prior, but it is also new doctor creating boat payments from you and your insurance.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, it is a home study. It's a ResMed device. I'm going to suck it up tonight and see it through. How likely is it to get the doctor to write the prescription for life? I've heard thats a thing.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know if it's universal but many Drs. are now writing prescriptions for one year rather than life.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 217 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 53 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 73 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 117 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.