Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep study suggests central but diagnosed with obstructive
RE: Sleep study suggests central but diagnosed with obstructive
Thanks, I’m saving the name of this machine.

Unbelievable, the hoops you have to jump through to get the insurance to pay for the correct treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
This doctor is absolutely wrong and you are correct. CPAP is programmed to not react to Centrals. If it did, it would choose the wrong action, increase pressure in the wrong way.

My opinion
Fire Doctor Not Correct and get someone more knowledgeable. Things won't get better with this Dr. McQuack's office.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dave can get a little sarcastic when he learns a doc is getting it wrong.

All we can do is attempt to avoid centrals on machines not capable of treating them, but this means changing settings in a manner that will likely increase obstructive events. This means reduce EPR, Flex, PS, then remove other pressure fluctuations so minimizing impact of any auto function and finally decreasing pressure(EPAP) all of which tend to increase obstructive events.

Managing, not treating, centrals on a machine such as yours is a delicate balancing act.
Post Reply Post Reply
A doctor that does not recognize that central and complex apnea requires different therapy, is like a doctor that treats a stroke the same as a heart attack. Well, there are actually a lot of those, so let's move on. CPAP is constant pressure which is fine to keep your airway from obstructing, while ASV senses a reduction in breathing and provides pressure support on a breath by breath basis to treat centrals and hypopnea, and if the airway is blocked, it increases exhale pressure like CPAP. So there is very little in common. Your doctor didn't even care enough to prescribe a machine that gave data, so she will never be wrong. You needed a new doc and you got it! Congrats.

Your machine is not going to give us data, so we have to guess at how to minimize events. We have learned that central apnea responds best to moderately low, constant pressure if CPAP is in use. If you are going to continue using the machine get the App provided by Resvent and let's see what it tells use If it as good as the Chinese English on their web page, I don't have high hopes. http://www.resvent.com/en/product/type/30-1.html My suggestion is that you use a fixed pressure of 6 or 7 rather than a range of 4-20. I'd like to see you get on a proper ASV as soon as possible. I actually think you should return the Resvent to the DME. I don't know of a single other person using this piece of crap that provides no feedback to your therapy, and you clearly have complex apnea. I think your technician or respiratory therapist at the DME sounds sympathetic to your situation. Ask that person if she knows of a doctor or practice that has knowledge of treating central and complex apnea, and see if you can return this machine for a Resmed Autoset.

I hate to say it, but if this is your doctor's expertise with CPAP, and her level of concern for your care, you need to change doctors.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi doc! We will roast no duck before its time. E & J Follo

[Image: vdPA0bb.jpeg]

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 604 Yesterday, 04:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 22 400 Yesterday, 02:51 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 249 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 60 03-27-2024, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 79 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 536 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,527 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.