Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep test Titration with ASV
Sleep test Titration with ASV
As I wait patiently for my dr to tell me what to do next, I have a question that I can’t find an answer to. My results from ASV titration to max ps 20, max epap 5, min ps 6, min epap 5, rate 10 bpm show 2 central apneas and 94 central hypopneas. 

From what I understand, the Resmed ASV doesn’t record centrals because it stops them in their tracks. Why didn’t my sleep test do the same?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep test Titration with ASV
I'm only putting forth a guess, either the pressures were still not optimal or they used a Philips Respironics test machine, or it may be both. Get your detailed report and post it redacted here. I've used the ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV myself and it will successfully tackle Central and Obstructive events. The two years I could use mine I had treated reports between AHI 0-3. ASV isn't for me though due to increasing respiratory disease.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2022, 12:25 PM)1Joyous1 Wrote: From what I understand, the Resmed ASV doesn’t record centrals because it stops them in their tracks. Why didn’t my sleep test do the same?

Was your sleep test done without xPAP?

ASV was originally designed to treat "chain centrals"--  central apnea begets hyperventilation begets central apnea etc.  The ASV ameliorates this by gentle respiration through the apnea and little to no support during the spontaneous breathing until the chain breaks.  These are forms of "central apnea".

So then people started to use it for "central apneas" (singular).  And central apneas are often normal phenomena.  A person has a central apnea, then ASV hammers it with a few breaths;  the machine says "Oh look breaths" so doesn't score an apnea; meanwhile the patient (remember her?) is still stuck with the central apnea, although it's decorated with some machine breaths.  Oscar, part of this conspiracy, dutifully reports AHI = 0 and everybody is happy--  ResMed has $$$, MD has $$$, DME has $$$, forum members who win the race to say "You need an ASV cause the word central came up!" are happy, and the patient is sitting there wondering why they still have sleep issues.

Oh.

I guess not everyone is happy.
Post Reply Post Reply
I knew you would want that and as soon as I learn how on this Mac, I will. Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
test results

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
continued... it's a shame that the lab and dr are getting the bucks but I look to you guys for answers. I can see who accesses MyChart and they, (RespTherapist and Dr) are still going in the file today.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Is there a graph showing the location of the PLMs?

268 spontaneous arousals is a LOT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Calling this sleep study a "titration" when they only appear to have used a single setting is a bit disingenuous. More of an ASV trial with attended PSG.

Are your doctors doing anything to try and address the PLMs?

My observation of my own sleep data is that you have a leg movement (twitch, etc) which triggers arousal and brief hyperventilation (at least a big breath or two) which results in hypocapnia (as CO2 is washed out) and CA events. Having an ASV force you to breath at this point is likely to cause further arousal and sleep disruption. It's not just about AHI!

A graph with LM and heart rate would be useful...
Post Reply Post Reply
This isn't much of a Titration process. Only a single setting tried the whole time. Lazy or incompetent.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It was a Phillips Respironics Machine. The respiratory therapist and I were talking about all of the hospital’s ventilation machines being recalled and then Covid hit. They were scrambling to get exterior filters because they needed every vent they could get their hands on.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 86 Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 76 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Help with settings after BiPAP Titration jd1291 5 164 03-11-2024, 12:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 130 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser
  [CPAP] Just bought a second hand bilevel, hoping for some help with titration? JohnnyLarueBathrobe 8 276 03-01-2024, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.