Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep wake junk
Sleep wake junk
Often, stuff our devices identify as clear airway apneas are really what we call sleep wake junk, I am curious how a sleep lab with a full polysomographic analysis score sleep wake junk?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep wake junk
The Sleep Lab can tell when you are sleeping with all of the electrodes attached to your head. They ignore data from when you are awake or are just falling asleep.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
It's the just falling asleep area I was thinking of - is that ignored also? This is curiosity on my part, I am pretty well aware of the set up used in a sleep lab. Guess I am mostly interested in the actual scoring guidelines, when sleep "officially" occurs stuff like that.
Post Reply Post Reply
each page or "epoch" is 30 seconds long.  Scoring if based off of the brain waves.  If an Epoch has both sleep and awake brain waves the scoring tech starts counting the seconds  of each stage.  If there is >15 secs of sleep brain waves then that epoch would be scored as sleep and any associated breathing issues/leg movements would then be counted.  If <15 seconds of sleep is counted then it is scored as "awake" and on the the next epoch/page they go, ignoring everything else that would have been recorded in that epoch.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks dmeRT. Great description on how the scoring works.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have to wonder how accurate their labels are. My 1st sleep study, they recorded that I slept FAR more than I truly did. I was lying there, in an almost-asleep state for quite a while, but was conscious that I was not asleep. Yet on my report, it shows that I was sleeping during that part.

Maybe I'm good at having no brain waves. LOL
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow that is an opening for a wise crack. like You are good for the heart.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2017, 06:33 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: I have to wonder how accurate their labels are. My 1st sleep study, they recorded that I slept FAR more than I truly did.  I was lying there, in an almost-asleep state for quite a while, but was conscious that I was not asleep.  Yet on my report, it shows that I was sleeping during that part.

Maybe I'm good at having no brain waves. LOL

It's meant to be males who can just lie there with no brain waves. We can make an art form of it at times. Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
@holden - as a male I do know that there are times when I hear "what are you thinking about", and respond "nothing". maybe that's what you are talking about, eh?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 204 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Wake and can't get back to sleep hydra 11 514 02-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Still wake up using CPAP urachan 3 334 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: urachan
  Weird spikes and then I wake up tiredguy1 4 290 02-12-2024, 10:33 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Low AHI - Why do I wake up? jkjsdflljkasdf9 3 415 02-05-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: ejbpesca
  Why do I wake up after a few hours sleep? John Reston 6 490 01-28-2024, 02:56 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.