Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep - wake transition central apnea
Sleep - wake transition central apnea
Hi,

I've read that 40% of the general population tend to have central sleep-wake transition apnea. I assume that rate is higher in CPAP/APAP/VPAP therapy patients, especially in the begining of the therapy. It is considered unimportant if it isn't accompanied by desaturations. The question is, what if it is accompanied by desaturations? In my case, I don't get centrals most nights, as I probably got used to the treatment emergent cetrals after 1 month of CPAP use, however when I get it, it is invariably at sleep-wake transition and they tend to be clustered (I get 5-6 of them in 4-5 minutes, after transtioning to the sleep they disappear). The breathing efficiency provided by the VAuto probably plays a role on this. I wonder if using a ramp for a brief period would decrease the probability of having these. The duration is not a concern, as the total apnea time is rarely over 1 minute in total (for the whole night) and it isn't very different than holding my breath for 1 minute, however I may see saturations as low as 78-79% at these periods, which is what concerns me. The desaturation periods are very brief (1-2 seconds), so I still assume it is unimportant, but would appreciate any input on how to prevent them.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep - wake transition central apnea
I am not certain of prevention, but I'd not recommend adding Ramp. It could make things worse rather than the targeted improvement you seek. Ramp can reduce or hinder effective therapy during its usage time.

I see the desat level is worth possible action, but the length of time is too short to act upon. I'm not saying it is definite in this situation, but it's possible the negative aspect you're chasing is something that may cause more stress and concern than what's actually warranted. In other words, you may be considering the adding of actions that may not be required to some aspect you might not be able to control regardless of effort.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Does anyone have a guideline for ignoring sleep/wake junk that normally appears at the beginning or end of a recorded sleep session in some individuals? Would it be prudent or helpful to add the ability to select a time range in Oscar to get a more accurate picture of one's sleep session?
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Not a bad question.
How do you determine sleep latency?
It's just instinctful for me to glance at the lidex then the charts and determine what looks meaningful
Post Reply Post Reply
For me, I look at the tidal volume. My tidal volume when I start using the mask but not sleeping is significantly higher compared to when I start to sleep, so any events happening during this period is not really a sleep event for me. I understand that isn't completely true, as I probably start sleeping before the tidal volume falls completely but the transition period isn't demonstrative of what the actual sleep is, so I don't care about it.

The problem with being able to deliberately remove some events, without the confirmation by EEG,  would probably be the risk that OSCAR reports may be manipulated to change scores. I understand that OSCAR isn't legally used for this purpose but many of us also use it to show our results to sleep doctors, and the ability to manipulate the results would decrease its trustworthiness.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-03-2020, 04:57 PM)bonjour Wrote: Not a bad question.  
How do you determine sleep latency?
It's just instinctful for me to glance at the lidex then the charts and determine what looks meaningful

I am unfamiliar with the term "lidex," could you please explain?  -- Thanks, steve
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Index typo
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 588 1 hour ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 239 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,519 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 352 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,399 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 615 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 292 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.