Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Wrong Mask setting
Question 
Wrong Mask setting
When I started CPAP with my present machine 4 years ago, I was supplied with the Mirage Quattro mask. But, I had a nasal pillow mask from 2004 that I wanted to try.

The tech told me which mask settings to use on my ResMed S8 - VPAP-S. I recall she wrote them down on a post-it note.

I quickly found the FF Mirage Quattro mask to be the better mask.

Yesterday evening, I found the machine set to SWIFT. It should have been set to MIR FULL. I have no idea how long it's been set wrong -- perhaps 4 years.

I wonder what impact that's had on my sleep quality?
Huhsign
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Wrong Mask setting
I have four masks of all different types (nasal, full face, pillows, fabric). I don't bother switching the mask type when I switch masks, and I really don't notice a difference.
Post Reply Post Reply
In the long run, it doesn't make that much of a difference. It helps track leak rate. I doubt it does much in terms of treatment.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Probably next to no effect.

There are two reasons the CPAP machine wants to know the type of mask being use. The first (for ResMed machines) is so that it can figure out the intentional leak rate (ie. airflow through the mask vent) and thereby calculate the unintentional leak rate. The other reason (at least for PRS1 machines, but I'm sure ResMed has something similar) is so that the machine can compensate for the flow resistance from the mask and thereby provide the proper pressure in your airway. But that compensation is quite small, relatively speaking.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yup...minor impact, if any. The mask type is more for leak tracking and mask volume (i.e. for deciding if it is an open or obstructed airway apnea event). Should be minimal impact to your treatment, but might impact some of how it interprets the data it is recording.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 162 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,208 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirSense 10 Max Pressure setting Tomt 13 861 03-04-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Tomt
  Air Sense 11 - Pressure Setting goblue2024 3 426 01-10-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  Apnea Worse - What am I doing wrong? John Reston 8 543 01-08-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: John Reston
  [CPAP] Need help with setting minimum pressure for my Father. Jamie Connor 2 389 01-07-2024, 12:18 AM
Last Post: Jamie Connor
  [Equipment] I have to CRANK down my full face mask to prevent leaking. What am I doing wrong? srwilsn3 17 1,465 12-13-2023, 04:08 PM
Last Post: srwilsn3

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.