Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SleepWeaver Mask
RE: SleepWeaver Mask
Hi RAA,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's good to hear that you are doing well with the SleepWeaver mask.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2012, 06:20 AM)Dreamcatcher Wrote: Does anyone use a sleep weaver mask? Its made of material and not plastic. The only reason I ask is that no one seems to use it in the states and I know it got rave reviews over here when it came out. It also comes in many colours and styles.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=248]

I have been using the SleepWeaver for about a year. Started with the original, switched to the Élan last Thanksgiving.
I like them better than any of the hard plastic masks I have tried. Some big advantages, if I get an itch I can scratch without removing the mask. When I sleep on my side, I can and do bury my face in the pillow and the Élan adjusts and does not dig into my face.
My biggest problem right now is battling with the new medical group, DME, and insurance to get a new soft cushion. The DME does not deal with Circadience and will not bend.
They tell me there is no demand, gee. There RTs and customers never heard of it so I am the only one to demand it. After the first month with no success I filled a grievence and am starting my second week in that process.
Post Reply Post Reply
Every time I see that leopard print mask on that model, I wonder if the mask comes with matching leopard print bikini style lingerie.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
<can't link pictures yet for some reason>

This is a representation of the model with the mask: Shy

This girl has sleep apnea, eh? And somehow got that silly mask on without smudging any of that makeup, or mussing her hair and eyelashes. Sigh.

(06-28-2012, 12:28 AM)archangle Wrote: I do find it humorous that the instructions say not to smoke while wearing the mask. Crazy

Someone hasn't seen the episode of The League with the "sleep bong." Smile

(06-16-2013, 07:27 PM)RAA Wrote: 2. Resmed Quattro FX, ( recommended by sleep lab as I sometimes mouth breath) - I would keep breaking the seal when I moved from side to side

There's an easy fix for this ^

(06-16-2013, 07:27 PM)RAA Wrote: and would often get annoying itched on the face where I could not scratch.

But not for this ^ Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
Question 
Benefits of Elan over nasal pillows?
Resurrecting this thread for a question about the Sleepweaver Elan. When I purchased my machine I had ordered one of these along with the Swift FX nasal pillows I was prescribed. I have return insurance on the Elan and it's due to expire soon, so I am trying to determine whether or not to return it.

Is there a benefit to using this mask over nasal pillows? They both work through the nose and honestly, the SwiftFX has been working for me. I had tried to fit the Elan one night and it wasn't working so well. Apparently there's a whole procedure for putting it on and some voodoo dances you have to do to get it to seal. I never took the time to learn it since the SwiftFX just slips on and off in a matter of seconds.

Are there any positions that the Elan lets you sleep in that the SwiftFX does not?

I'm debating trading it for a full face mask to have on hand in case I get a cold or stuffy/runny nose.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Benefits of Elan over nasal pillows?
(07-10-2013, 09:37 AM)Paptillian Wrote: Resurrecting this thread for a question about the Sleepweaver Elan. When I purchased my machine I had ordered one of these along with the Swift FX nasal pillows I was prescribed. I have return insurance on the Elan and it's due to expire soon, so I am trying to determine whether or not to return it.

Is there a benefit to using this mask over nasal pillows? They both work through the nose and honestly, the SwiftFX has been working for me. I had tried to fit the Elan one night and it wasn't working so well. Apparently there's a whole procedure for putting it on and some voodoo dances you have to do to get it to seal. I never took the time to learn it since the SwiftFX just slips on and off in a matter of seconds.

Are there any positions that the Elan lets you sleep in that the SwiftFX does not?

I'm debating trading it for a full face mask to have on hand in case I get a cold or stuffy/runny nose.

Thanks!

I had a tough time with many masks at first. I went through all the hard paykel types and would end up with suction marks on my face and irritation. Then for a couple years I used the Swift FX nasal pillows. I still wasn't satisfied, though it was better.

I was hoping there would be some advances in mask technology, so I feel the Sleepweaver Elan is a blessing. It is so comfortable, leaves no marks, and I'm getting the best night's sleep ever in ears of apnea.

Use the thing and see. The headgear is a bit wonky at first because of the 4 points that need to be adjusted, but take the time and learn how it can sit best on your face. You won't regret it. It's a keeper in my book.

The best way to readjust it is to pull it down and return it in a circular motion so the top part that sits on your nose resets upon your nose tight. It's the quickest and easiest adjustment I've ever had to do with a mask as I'm going to sleep or sleeping.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2013, 09:37 AM)Paptillian Wrote: Is there a benefit to using this mask over nasal pillows? They both work through the nose and honestly, the SwiftFX has been working for me. I had tried to fit the Elan one night and it wasn't working so well. Apparently there's a whole procedure for putting it on and some voodoo dances you have to do to get it to seal. I never took the time to learn it since the SwiftFX just slips on and off in a matter of seconds.

Some people have trouble with Nasal Pillows - if you don't and have taken to the SwiftFX well, I don't see why there would be any reason to mess with Nasal Mask. It's good to have options - but; if you only have two options, then it would probably be better to go with 1 nasal interface and 1 full face (for the reasons you cited) rather than two nasal interfaces.

JMHO

I have an "Advance" like the one pictured earlier in the thread (mine's blue though, not leopard print - I'd be lying if I said I didn't consider it Dielaughing ) and would really like to be using it - I never figured out how to keep my lips from flapping in the wind without my cheeks puffing out like a puffer fish though.
Dont-know

If I were you, I would return the Elan and start trialing different FFMs. FFMs are tricky little ponies to wrangle and you might have to try several before you find one that doesn't give you fits - not a fun thing to do at the last minute when you're dealing with a sinus infection or something. On the other hand, you might find you don't need FFM when you get a stuffy/runny nose. I've gone through periods of struggling all day with stuffy/runny nose and had it clear right up at night shortly after putting the mask on - high humidity combined with pressure took care of it until morning when I took the mask off. I'm sure nasal pillow work as well, if not better, in this regard. Might help to turn the humidity up a notch or two under those circumstances.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Appreciate both comments. What jgjones says makes sense to me, though I did try the Elan again last night. Comfortable? Yes, but comparable to the Swift FX I thought if not slightly worse. In order to get the Elan to initially seal, I had to tighten the bottom straps a bit which ended up making a pressure point along my upper lip. This morning I had sore front teeth. The first seal was great, but once broken I had leaks all night. In fact, I think I was up most of the night pulling on the mask to make it re-seal. If I had just laid on my back all night, I think it wouldn't have been a problem.

I unfortunately lost the detailed sleep data b/c I didn't have my SD card in the machine, but the summary data showed a peak leak rate of 20.4 L/m, and a 95% leak of 8.4L/m. That's not too bad, but the Swift FX does a tad bit better for me.

I found my vision to be obstructed by the Elan, whereas with the Swift FX it's not. Granted, the Elan only takes up the lower half or 1/4 of my field of view, but it is bulky. I used the large Elan cushion because it sealed better than the medium.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-11-2013, 09:34 PM)jgjones1972 Wrote: I never figured out how to keep my lips from flapping in the wind without my cheeks puffing out like a puffer fish though.
Dont-know

Sorry I didn't respond to this bit earlier, because I meant to. I know we've had this conversation before because I had a similar issue with my cheeks puffing up and air coming out between my lips. I think I've gotten much better since learning to keep my tongue pressed up against the roof of my mouth. The air doesn't seem to want to flow into my mouth anymore, at least that I've noticed. Hopefully it's a habit that sticks long-term because it sure beats the chin strap!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,530 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,219 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,758 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Carcadiance Sleepweaver Anew full face mask optimalsleep 3 988 09-23-2020, 02:38 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,094 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,427 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,837 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.