Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New User - Mouth full of air
New User - Mouth full of air
I think the answer is going to be "it takes time to get used to a CPAP", but...

I finally got my S9 AutoSet (Nice!) on Saturday, fired it up Saturday night looking forward to how great I felt after my titration. Woke up Sunday morning feeling "eh", with vague recollections of my mouth (closed) filling up with air over and over again. Same thing happened last night.

I was titrated using a nasal mask, but my doc switched me over to nasal pillows because the mask was really tugging on my moustache. In both cases I wore a chin strap. Is this a matter of getting used to the brick and not fighting it? Should I think about a full face mask? Right now the machine is set in auto mode with a pressure range of 4-20. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New User - Mouth full of air
Hi wintermute,
Your right, it does take some time to get used to CPAP therapy but hang in there for suggestions to help you along.
Edit: I forgot to mention that you might consider trying a chinstrap along with your pillows, that might help you keep your mouth closed.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New User - Mouth full of air
I had the nasal mask during my sleep study and started with that at home. I had the same problem you did - as well as breathing through my mouth while I slept and having air escape. I have a Resmed mask and switched to the full face Quattro FX within the first 30 days. For me, that has solved my problem. No more back pressure through my mouth. I hope you find a good solution.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 31 7 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 372 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 316 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 520 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,078 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 806 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.